Thursday, October 25, 2012

Solving the Puzzle

The gym is actually pretty quiet this morning with the exception of those ladies enrolled in the Spin and Zumba classes. I see V here so it must be Yoga class because he doesn't do anything with exertion. There is only one Precor available by the time I get up to the cardio area but still, it's better than slogging through a LifeFitness sesssion.

I actually feel fairly energetic in spite of sore glutes and stiff hips, and in spite of the rough night I had. I have a sensitive stomach and at 2 a.m., I'm awakened by excruciating pain in my back. Only it's not my back. It's my diaphragm, the muscle between the lungs and stomach cavity, and the pain is radiating outward into my back and abdominals. I've had this before: I've eaten something that my stomach can't digest. The best solution for me is to vomit it up. And after a glass of water, up comes the offending 2-inch piece of arugula stem. I've had this problem with watercress, apple skins, tomatoes... I guess I'm just not a raw vegetable (i.e., salad) kinda gal. I'm so glad it's not my back!

Most people warm up on cardio with a slow, purposeful walk. I can't do it. My starting pace is about 168 strides per minute. Today it's 185 and I try to keep it up around 200. 45 minutes gets me 5.13 miles and I'm very happy. And sweaty. I see Mr. Pajama Pants on the treadmill and I purposely avoid any station he's near. I note afterwards that he's been at the Lat Pull Down machine for 3 days in a row.

Why would anyone work lats three days in a row unless they had no idea what they were doing? I'm certainly not going to correct him. He doesn't seem to be exerting much effort in his exercises, and I get the feeling that he just positions himself at whatever station so he can sneak glances over at me. Good grief. Well, as long as he keeps his distance, I guess no harm. But it's creepy. Or middle-aged infatuation. Or both. It's always good to know where all the creepy people are in relation to where you are in the gym, even if you have no intention of interacting with them.

It's the 2nd Push Day which means Reps (repetions) today. 4 sets of 25 reps benching is a good start. It gets me pumped and keeps me warm and sweaty. I like that. Cage stretch & kicks follows. Then back to the free weight area to do shoulders: deltoids. Dumbbell raises with 20 lbs STILL feels heavy. At some point they're going to get easier. I hope. Even the Seated Rear Inclined Raises feel godawful heavy today, but I grit my teeth and knock out 6 sets. I like my shoulders and I'm paranoid that if I don't "maintain" them, they'll just disappear and I'll be left with just my over-sized triceps and look like Popeye's sister. Not an attractive image.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio hill #6 = 5.13 miles
Smith Bench Press: 4 x 25 @ 95 lbs (I skipped the bar warm-up because it seems silly)
Cage stretch & kicks
Front & Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Dumbbell Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (standing)
Seated Twisting Sit Ups: about 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: only about 100 (because I started to feel a rug burn at my tail bone)
Tricep Press Downs: (I'm feeling a little burnt about now so what's better than a "burn-out set")
12 @ 40 / (11/10/8) @ 47.5 lbs / 11 @ 40 / 12 @ 30 / 15 @ 20 lbs
Mat stretch

The scale reads 107.4 and that's pretty good. I'd drained my water bottle before doing abs and I'm so parched I'm considering drinking the shower, but I wait until I get back to my car to suck down the protein drink instead. When I get home, curiosity propels me to get on my EatSmart scale just to see what it says, and to finally write down all the readings. 105.6 lbs, body fat 18.8%, muscle 38.2, total body water 52.9, bone 4.6.

Luckily EatSmart provides a manual with charts in the back to help me understand what all these readings mean. Apparently bone mass ranges anywhere from 4 to 8.5 lbs! That includes guys so I shouldn't be surprised at my reading. I'm more surprised that for my age, any reading below 22% body fat is considered low. If I were 20 years old, any reading below 19% would be considered low. (I knew I was leaner when I was younger!) Any reading greater than 34% for muscle mass is above average for women ages 10-80. Ages 10 to 80? Good grief. Well, at least I'm well-hydrated because normal is 42-52 for my age (31-60).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...