Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Three-Day Workout

Tomorrow is my son's class trip to an apple orchard and I'm one of the five parent chaperones. That means I don't go to the gym tomorrow. Instead I'll be riding a school bus up to Barton's Orchard in Poughquag NY. That means I only work each body part once this week instead of twice like I normally would. Today is a Pull Day (Back and Biceps). I'm not sure I could subscribe to a 3 day workout. I'd feel so guilty about not going the other two days. I mean, what would I do with ALL that free time! Good grief.

My butt is sore from yesterday's eight and a quarter miles so I'm not surprised when I can only eek out 4.8 miles today. I'm still pleasantly sweaty. The gym's not too crowded. Everything's good! Rows again seems a bit daunting so I only do 5 total sets; 3 of them for 8 reps at 120 lbs which nearly lifts me out of my seat. Lower back extensions, cage stretch & kicks and a dozen close grip chin ups. My right elbow is twinging a bit today. Probably from wrestling with the pan of turkey chili I made last night. Lifting weights doesn't bother my elbows. It's doing mundane things like cleaning and cooking that really kills my joints.

Lat pull downs are also daunting today but I manage to get a warm up set at 90 lbs and an additional 5 sets at 105, although I can only get 10 reps on the last two sets. It's not my back that gives out, but my grip: I can't hang on to the bar any longer. No matter. More back extensions then Bent-Over Reverse Grip Barbell Rows. When I lift the 60 lb bar, I think, good grief this is bloody heavy! But when I actually hunker down to do the exercise, I realize I can get 15 reps for all 6 sets. Damn! It IS all in my head!

The dumbbell area is suddenly very popular and I hate crowds, so I grab a pair of 20s and stand in the barbell area. I haven't done standing Alternate Hammer Curls with 20s in a very long time, and I'm surprised at how easy this feels. I also realize that my arms look great, and I'm quite pleased with the shape and size of my shoulders. At least in these gym clothes, I have that lovely tapered athletic look!

I see R and by the slow way he's moving, I know he's in a lot of pain. When I'm done with my Reverse Grip Barbell Curls, I venture over to see how he's doing. He says okay but he says it so quietly that I know he's lying. "No, you're hurting," I say matter of factly. He tells me the rainy weather is killing him, making all his joints ache. We discuss the steroid shot fungal contamination and he tells me that he's already scheduled to get a shot because he just can't take the pain any more. I wish I knew the right thing to say, but I'm socially inept. Instead, we both say, "Have a good weekend."

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 4.8 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 3 x 8 @ 120 / 12 @ 90 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 25 @ 90 / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks & 12 close grip chin ups with knees to chest
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 / 5 x 12-10 @ 105 lbs
Lower Back Extensions (again) 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows: 6 x 15 @ 60 lbs
Standing Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 100
Lower Ab Kick Outs: about 100
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Mat stretch

The scale reads the same as yesterday: 107.8 lbs and I still have Mother Nature cramping my left inner hip. A hot shower revives me and I feel refreshed, and hungry. B hasn't been at the gym all week. Now she's recovering from dental surgery to implant some new back teeth. I text her and she says she's fine although a bit puffy. Maybe I'll see her next week. I'll have my son with me next Monday as school's are closed for Columbus Day, but, thankfully, the gym is not.

BTW, Shape.com's new October playlist is actually available to download (click here). I've picked up a lot of great workout music here, only purchasing an actual handful of songs in the last year. I've also been invited to apply for a position down in the City. It's definitely something I can do, but the question is, do I want to? Plus, not sure they'll be able to pay me adequately so I can afford the commute, additional childcare, and the disturbing loss of gym time. It's a lot to digest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...