Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Say Hey!

I'm seeing a lot of people at the gym who were MIA for most of the summer. Not that I actually talk to any of them, but it was kind of crowded today. So crowded that I was forced to do cardio on a LifeFitness elliptical instead of the beloved Precor. The LifeFitness makes my ankles flex forward more which makes me feel less efficient. After 45 minutes, I'm barely sweaty and log in a measely 4.79 miles. Well, better than no cardio at all.

I see B today and she apologizes for rushing out of the gym yesterday without even saying goodbye. It's okay. We all have lives and errands and appointments. No big deal. Today is a Pull Day for me. B is doing shoulders and she thinks, triceps. I can't do that. It's back and bi's (biceps). I like Seated Cable Rows. I just wish I were stronger at it. Which is why I do 3 sets of 6-8 reps at 120 lbs, warming up and cooling down with 12 reps at 90 lbs. And a set at 105 just for fun. Okay, my idea of fun is probably not your idea of fun. But it keeps me out of trouble.

Between sets, V wanders over and I ignore him, but he keeps circling the area so eventually I look up, wave at him without actually making eye contact, and then go back to adjusting my elbow braces. I have nothing to say to him, and I'm not really interested in hearing about any gossip he wants to spread about our neighbors. As I work out, I can see him in my peripheral vision, making half-ass attempts to utilize the gym equipment. He walks around like an 80 year old man who seems to be developing a dowager's hump. Later, I'll see him huddled at the coffee bar with a couple of ladies from the yoga class. Well, good for him. Now he has "friends".

I have plenty of time so I do my Cage stretches, kicks, chin ups, lower back extensions and Lat Pull Downs. It's amazing how crowded that station gets after I switch bars and adjust the seat. It's like every other middle-aged man wants to work out there. I see R and he doesn't look so good to me. He's got a weird spacey look that says he wants to be there but he's in too much pain to actually do what he wants to do. It's not a focused look. It's not his normal look. The ever-escalating number of people affected by fungal infections from the steroid injections has probably weirded him out. It's weirding me out. I don't even speak to him today.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio LifeFitness elliptical = 4.79 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 8 @ 120 / 12 @ 90 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks & 12 close grip chin ups w knees to chest
Lower back extension: 25 @ 90 / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 / 5 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Bent Over Reverse Grip Barbell Rows: 6 x 15 @ 60 lbs
Standing Dumbbell Hammer curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lower back extension (again!): 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Ab Curl Station: 2 x 50 (upper) / 2 x 50 (lower)
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Mat stretch

The scale reads a reassuring 108.4 lbs and I'm happy. Tomorrow is Leg Day! B won't be here tomorrow; she's going to do legs on Thursday. But her version of Leg Day is to do even less cardio than normal because otherwise she'll be too tired to squat and do leg presses, lunges, etc. I don't do half of all that. Bad knees. Bad ankles. Flat feet. But today I did get to show her the Bent Over Barbell Rows which works Lats and Biceps in a very small simple movement. She'll forget, I'm sure, and I'll show her again. I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...