Friday, October 19, 2012

Rain Rain Go Away!

Nothing makes you want to stay in bed more than a dark grey sky and rain falling so hard that the road shimmers in waves. Thoughts of hydroplaning pop into my head as I make my way to the gym. The gym isn't as crowded as I expected, although the Precor ellipticals are all occupied. Unfortunately, machine #2 is broken again with a bone-rattling clunk thunk. I get on one of the LifeFitness ellipticals and slog through 45 minutes of cardio. Even at Level 1, the glide motion feels thick, as if I'm wading through heavy syrup. It's not good for my ankles or other joints and I only get 4.31 miles, although I am warm and sweaty.

It's my 2nd Pull Day this week. I'm tired. Still, it's not really an excuse. However, I can't find the handles I like to use on the Seated Cable Row machine (because people never put things back where they belong!) and the overly long fabric handles stress my forearms. I opt to use the heavy close grip handles but I don't like them much because the grip's diameter is still a tad too big for me, and I want to work back, not forearms. Still I get 2 full sets of 90 lbs and 4 full sets at 105. Off to the Cage to stretch, kick and pull a dozen close grip chin ups.

Then Lower Back extensions. No surprises there. There's a fellow alternately doing Lat Pull Downs and Benching. He says I can work in, but I demur because I'd have to change too many settings: handles, weight, seat height. I'll just come back later I tell him. Instead, I do Bent-Over Reverse Grip Barbell Rows. I'm too lazy to get the magnetic weights from the front desk so I just do 6 sets of 15 reps at 60 lbs. Next week I'll put another 5 lbs on and see how that feels (the bars only go up in 10 lbs increments).

Fitting Room photo
Lat Pull Downs are next. I know my form sucks because I lean back when I pull the bar to my chest, but I feel my lats in this position, and I don't when I sit straight up. Plus sitting straight up stresses my shoulders, and I'm not working shoulders. There's strain on my biceps and forearms on this movement as well, but I figure I can hold out and get at least 5 or 6 sets. Then bicep curls. I used to be better at this. Until I screwed up my forearm/elbow in my right arm. Now I'm limited to alternating hammer curls, and then those grimace-inducing Reverse Grip Barbell Curls. I miss doing 21s. I miss doing Concentration Curls. I may do them next week. Because boredom leads you to do silly things.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min LifeFitness = 4.31 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 4 x 12 @ 105 / 12 @ 90 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks & 12 close grip chin ups (knees to chest of course)
Lower Back Extension: 25 @ 90 / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows: 6 x 15 @ 60 lbs
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 lbs / 5 x 12 @ 105 / 12 @ 90 lbs
Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 (upper) / 2 x 50 (lower)
Mat stretch

Shoes Yes, Dress No
I see B and we discuss girly stuff like shopping for bras and dresses. I tell her I have my fancy new bra in the locker and some bad cell phone photos of dresses and shoes I tried on in the fitting room the other day. She chides me for not taking a side shot photo of the shoes. I'm lucky I managed to shoot anything in focus at all!

The scale reads 107.6 lbs and I'm disappointed that it's not a tad lower. But I'm really glad it's not higher! It's absolutely pouring out when I get to my car. I recognize R's car in the lot and I'm happy he made it to the gym in spite of the lousy weather. The weekend promises to be sunny and that's good because my family and I are going to check out the Connecticut Renaissance Faire. And I'm going to wear my "elf ears" and other appropriate clothes, once I figure out what that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...