Friday, March 29, 2024

Beta Blocker and Cardio Exercise

Whenever I start a new medication, I take care not to endanger myself if side effects might include dizziness, numbness, shortness of breath or the potential for fainting. The Timolol maleate was ready yesterday so I skipped the gym but did a bunch of errands in the dreary, rainy weather. I felt fine and assumed that side effects would be mild. Today, I went to the gym and the parking lot was packed. Forgot it was Good Friday and lots of people have the day off. I'm on another eye drop for my glaucoma, bringing the total to four, three of them twice a day, and one only once a day, preferably at bedtime.

I felt okay, but cardio surprised me with how hard it was. Seriously. I could only sing through a smattering of songs, could barely keep my pace above 150 SPMs (strides per minute), and didn't even make it to 2.8. Normally, I can coast along at 170 and hit 200 for several minutes. Today I'm struggling like a non-swimmer at the deep end. My thighs felt thick and leaden; toes and fingers went numb intermittently. Cardio was so much harder than it should've been. (Orally, timolol is used to lower BP and treat migraines.)

Later, when I've synced my FitBit, I find that my HR has barely touched 108, not for lack of trying. Conventional formula for max heart rate is 220 minus age (64) which gives me 156. That's roughly where my HR had been for weeks. Online articles suggest that this is an not uncommon occurrence with beta blockers, but doesn't state that patients will ever resume their previous cardiac rates. That's frustrating. I'll have to adjust my goals again if it works to lower my IOPs.

This new reality made me worry about the rest of my workout. Beta blockers, because they slow the heart rate and widen blood vessels, can lower blood pressure as well as IOPs. Some people experience more serious symptoms such as fainting. The last thing I want to think about when hoisting a pair of DBs overhead is whether I need to worry about smashing my face. I'm reassured by the pull-ups that I can do, so I'm confident I can handle the low-weight, high-rep sets. 

The first set at 20 lbs makes my left anterior delt twinge and I regret forgetting to rub Penetrex into it. But it hadn't made a peep, not a twinge or wince since Wednesday, until I push the 20s overhead. I adjust the angle and how far down I drop my elbow and the problem is solved. Not a completely full range of motion, but close enough to consider the movement fulfilled. Resting between sets, I look around to see a good mix of seniors, regular folks and kids in the free weight area, male and female. 

No one in the Aerobics Room when I get there so I'm happy. Everything is good, except push-ups, because the left shoulder isn't happy about them. Knock them out quick and never look back. Again, Walking Lunges are the worst: I almost fall over halfway across the room. Even Wall Squats don't hurt as bad as the lunges, and that's shocking. 

The mild headache I've been babying has finally dissipated but that's probably more because the clouds and rain have finally given way to dry, cold sunny skies. At least hives from the annual cold rash never materialized this year. Hurrah for tiny blessings. I glance at the FitBit readings for today and see that my sleeping HR has dropped from 44 to 39. I wonder if that's going to be a problem? Right now it means that I get really cold when I fall asleep, probably because I've fallen into a type of "hibernation". Okay, I'm kidding. Or am I? I guess I'd have to check my temperature and metabolic functions as well. Which I'm not doing.

29 March 2024 11:17-1:19
Sunny Good Friday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5376)
Distance: 2.77
Cal: 304
Avg Hr: 143, 182-75 (this HR monitor is always completely inaccurate)
Fitbit: 58-108!!!!

HGPU 16

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 sets

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Walking lunges 35 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...