Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Exhausted from All the Non-Exercise

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning, not just because I'm not a morning person (and I went to bed at 1 AM), but because I woke up feeling exhausted. I didn't even go to the gym yesterday! Instead, I had my last class (gonna sign up again as soon as the website allows), did a bit of garden shopping so I could enjoy the unseasonably warm, sunny weather (put in some cheap low fencing to keep the lawn mower guy from running roughshod over any baby milkweeds that might sprout behind my house (where they've never sprouted before), and then pulled out an assortment of sawing implements. 

There were two thick woody stalks a few feet from my kitchen window. Most of the time I'm able to prune and trim the errant weeds and shrubs with my trusty parrot-beak loppers, but in this case, the stems were as thick as my wrist. Granted, I have very small wrists for a full-grown human, but 3" diameter is too big for a lopper. That needs sawing. I removed a lot of branches and thick stems over an hour and a half, but I was unable to clear the mess that has attached itself to the wire leading from the post to the house. I'm not a fan of heights, and this is going to require a tall ladder and a pair of snippers. 

My legs are sore and there's a chain of purple bruises forming inside my thigh when I climbed over the chainlink fence at the dog park. I wanted to see if I could do it after another dog owner said he'd scaled the fence to let himself and his dogs in over the weekend. Never mind that he's 20 years younger and maybe a foot taller than me. There's a terrace shelf holding shrubs and a dog statue outside one section that makes the 6' fence only 5' high at that spot. I wasn't optimally dressed for the adventure, wearing a hoodie, heavy winter parka, and thick Bogs boots, but I still got myself over the fence. I'm happy about that, but disappointed that I'm bruising so easily these days. Ugh.

I'm tired and sore: didn't make it to 2.9 and only hit 15 reps. My left forearm is sore from wrestling the lopper close every time I cut a thick branch. It's mid-week but the gym isn't crowded. I suspect that everyone is outside because it's sunny and nearly 60F: perfect weather for an outdoor run. I'm glad I'm able to do a complete set of Seated Cable Rows, but I make a point of taking adequate rest breaks between sets, browsing online for a new pair of neoprene grips because my current ones are old and starting to crack. 

Eventually, I make it to the Aerobics Room, which is freezing. It's pleasant at first, but by the time I get to Wall Squats, I'm happy to zip my hoodie back up. Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm having lunch with a friend. I'm planning to do an abbreviated workout in the morning, but we'll see. Nothing is set in stone. I might just scrub the bathroom instead because nothing is harder than housework. 

13 March 2024 11:51-1:29
Sunny Wednesday
& I’m exhausted from scaling a fence and wrestling with weedy vines

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5752)
Distance: 2.88
Cal: 322
Avg Hr: 145, 182-84
Fitbit: 55-156

HGPU 15 (left forearm)

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15, 15, 15

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Walking lunges 36 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...