Thursday, November 2, 2023

Gonna Feel This Tomorrow

It was 27F outside and I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. But the pups and I went to the park and they were happy to run about in the cold wet leaves. Before heading to the gym, I had to stop by a grocery to buy two bundles of "supermarket" wood, aka kiln dried because even though I have a lot of aged, dry wood, it lights better if there's one piece of oven-dried to start it. 

An elderly woman with a tiny child, a grandmother and tot I presume, asked me if I needed any help as I reached over a bound pallet of the packaged split wood to grab loosed ones at the top. Not that she'd be able to help me anyway since it looked to me that she was actually shorter and older than me. But I'm bad at determining people's ages. And "short" people often turn out to be taller than I am because I'm a big person in my own mind. 

It's kind of chilly in my house with the thermostat set at 62F. I light the wood stove when that starts to drop down toward 60 or lower. In fact, I got so cold that the no-touch instant-read thermometer (not 100% accurate but close enough) told me my forehead was 96.1, the top of my hand was 93.5, and my fingers were so cold that they didn't actually register. Instead, the thermometer says "Lo" as in too low to measure. But I can't find anywhere online to tell me what the temperature range is for these types of thermometers. How low is too low? I have no idea. 

The parking lot is nearly empty and that suits me just fine. I get on my favorite elliptical and pedal furiously while thinking about cheap heart rate monitors. The Consumer Reports lists one that actually doesn't have such great reviews, but it's a lot cheaper than an Apple Watch. The 3Plus HR+ lists for $30 in the magazine, but not in real life online. The tracker's own website lists it for $50, but still cheaper than even an old Apple Watch ($250). 

I skip pull-ups today because not only am I considering restarting my DB Shoulder routine, but my shoulders are feeling a bit off and I don't want to strain them. Not that the DB Shoulder routine wouldn't be stressful, but there are more controllable variables with those exercises than with pull-ups. I could cut reps, change the tempo, lower the amount of weight, do fewer sets. I do fewer sets. 

I also skip Wall Squats since I plan to do those tomorrow along with pull-ups. Of course, I'm assuming that the shoulders won't be sore and everything will be just fine. Because I haven't done this DB routine for months, I start light and slow, with just 2 sets at 20 lbs. The shoulders still feel a bit off though. Guess I'll see how they are tomorrow... 

2 November 2023 11:15-12:47
Frosty Thursday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5760)
Distance: 2.89
Cal: 323
Avg Hr: 157, 196

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20/20/20/20 alt/ss = 80
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 26
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga
Skip Wall Squats 90s

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...