Monday, November 6, 2023

Bad in a Good Way

I finally decided to sleep in my kid's room last night after two nights on the sofa. The sofa isn't horrible, but it has 3 designated seats so it's not flat. It's not that the bed is unusable but that my hubs has commandeered my pillows and some of my blankets to prop himself up in bed. I was hoping for a pleasant quiet weekend with him out of town working, but that got rescheduled so he came home Friday night and then got stupid drunk. Drunk enough to apparently fall into the stair railing outside and injure himself. And why was he outside? Don't ask drunk people the reasons for doing stupid things.

He spent hours limping and moaning through the house Friday night, my dogs hiding because they can smell the alcohol emanating from his pores as he stumbles and mumbles like an oversized toddler. Finally, he passes out in bed and I sleep in the living room with the dogs. When I get back from the park Saturday morning, the hubs is sober and asking if I can wrap his ankle and his hand which are both swollen and probably sprained. We have a box of instant ice packets (works just like chemical hand warmers except it gets ice cold) and I attach the little bags with ace bandages. I spend Saturday looking for crutches and find only one store (a small private pharmacy that has resisted all the major chains) that actually carries them. Everywhere else offers canes and the ability to order crutches for later pick-up, but that's not what I need. With crutches, he can hobble to the bathroom.

Because the hubs is mostly confined to bed, he can't drink the vodka I find stashed under his desk and pour down the drain. By Sunday, he's able to stand well enough to shower. Today, he's able to drive to work out of town. I told him he's got to deal with his drinking problem. What I haven't said yet is that the next time he takes a tumble he might actually break something, like an arm or leg, or worse. I've read that the weight loss wonder drug Ozempic or Wegovy has the ability to curb alcohol addiction. And that treatment with naltrexone can also be used as treatment. But of course, it's up to the afflicted to agree to treatment... I'm hoping this injury is a wake-up call. But there's no predicting the future.

The bed reeks because he hasn't showered in 2 days, and the sheets are filthy from his wrapped foot not being able to fit into slippers. After two nights on the sofa, I decided to climb into my kid's bed. It's very comfortable because there's no box spring. Under the thin mattress is just plywood, which makes the bed flat and firm. Around 4 AM, I wake up to SNAP WHAP BOP. It's the sound of a mousetrap and when I turn the light on, the little body is still twitching in the plastic snap trap. I'm not leaving a tiny corpse in the room when I go back to sleep, so I grab a dog poo bag, pick up the trap still holding the mouse (a young tan and white pack rat) and take it outside, tossing the little body into the hedges and returning the trap to its spot in the corner of the room. Now I can go back to sleep...

The only place to do Wall Squats
Tonight I'm sleeping in my own bed with clean sheets and blankets and deodorized pillows. After doing a few errands, I'm able to get to the gym for cardio, pull-ups and core exercises. There's hardly anyone there but a few senior regulars and some college girls. Cardio is surprisingly good, maybe because once again I'm singing along to myself. I always worry when I'm standing in the Stretch Cage for pull-ups but they feel okay. Core feels very routine as well. 

I'm considering dropping elbow planks because I'm not sure if they're doing anything for me. (Actually, I'm not sure if crunches are doing anything for me either. I do feel my abs are a bit sore when doing Dead Bugs after crunches.) Especially after reading an old (May 2018) article on the T-Nation site called 5 Redundant Exercises You Just Don't Need. The Wall Squat isn't getting any easier but I grit my teeth through 90 seconds. I'm fully psyched to attempt another set of pull-ups but the Grand Dame is in the Stretch Cage, so time to go... 

Tomorrow I won't make it to the gym as not only do I want to vote in the local elections, but there's dog park time, and then I drop my car off at the repair shop for all the necessary fixes to the engine, brakes, bearings, tire... Oh, but I really want a new mattress. 

6 November 2023 11:33-12:51
Late Monday After a Weekend Bad in a Good Way

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5752)
Distance: 2.89
Cal: 323
Avg Hr: 153, 190-84

HGPU 17

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20/20/20/20 alt/ss = 80
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 26
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga
Wall Squats 90s (last 30 face flush)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...