Thursday, November 16, 2023

Apparently Not a Valid Excuse

Imagine my surprise when I woke up yesterday and my glutes and hammies were sore. Not just a little either. More sore than when I did that push-up challenge and got 155 total reps. More sore than I've been in a long time. That was my excuse not to go to the gym yesterday. I did other things. Today, I'm still sore but it's going to be 60F and I need to get moving. Once temps creep up past frost and into the 50s, I spray paint the bottom of my front door. I've been planning to fix the stains that have accrued over the past year, and I've still got some white Rust-Oleum. Then I can leave for the gym.

Tuesdays and Thursdays around noon is a very quiet time at the gym. I like that. When I start pedaling the elliptical, I realize that it's not just my glutes and hamstrings that are sore, but also the left sartorius muscle that originates at the front hip and crosses the inside of the thigh to disappear behind the inside knee. It's sore but it doesn't prevent me from pedaling so I do what I normally do: focus and sing to myself. 

Unexpectedly, I clock my best mileage in years. Which means being sore is no excuse for poor results. Maybe it's because I'm finally getting enough sleep? Or better sleep now that I've been streaming sleep-enhancing videos on YouTube? Some are better than others. There's also pink, brown, purple, and black noise. I guess in contrast to white noise? The videos have the advantage of leaving no sleep-hangover the way melatonin and other "natural" remedies do. I'm not a fan of chamomile tea either...

Thursday is the perfect day to do some weights after cardio and core since I won't have to fight anyone for equipment. The Aerobics Room is empty and I do everything on my list except for the Walking Lunges. I'll do those tomorrow along with Pull-ups. Because I need to leave something on the table for next day. During Crunches, I realize that my abs are sore and I don't think that's from the lunges. Maybe that extra set of Dead Bugs is doing something after all. It's just as well that I took yesterday off. I've read conflicting opinions about abs: some say work them every day; others say they're muscles and need a day off. Wall Squats still have me trembling, breathless, and ramps up the body temp with exertion. All for just holding a pose against the wall! 

It's been a few weeks since I last did DB Shoulders and happily there's no one in the DB area. The warm-up set is difficult, as expected. Moving up to the 10s is easier, and the 20s feel fine. But I'm running out of time so I only do 2 sets at 20 lbs, and I'm fine with that.

16 November 2023 11:40-1:21
Thursday & I Had to Paint the Front Door First cuz it’s 50°F

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5902)
Distance: 2.93!!!
Cal: 330
Avg Hr: 154, 197-87

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 50
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5 alt/ss = 100
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch w side bends & twists 25
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squats 90s (last 30 face flush)

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...