Monday, April 17, 2023

Incongruities

It's cold and damp when I start the car this morning. The temp drops from 55 to 53F on my way to the gym. I'm also tired with stiff knees and fingers. The moisture from sporadic showers has caused the landscape to burst to life with vibrant color. Trees suddenly have masses of bright green flowers and there are tiny leaves emerging from all the privets. Grass is shockingly green and patchy in length. Peeper frogs have been singing for weeks now and the rain has given them renewed vigor. Now it feels like April!

The elliptical is a challenge and I can't pedal fast enough to make it to 2.8 miles in 35 minutes. It's not looking good today. Which is why I'm surprised that I get an extra rep on pull-ups right afterward. Expectation was set for just under 20. Whoops. I've got to stop underestimating myself! There's a lot of people on the treadmills, probably because the weather is questionable. (Even the morning Dog Park crew have bailed.) I hear loud grunting from across the gym. Yep, it's that Bob Paris look-alike. He spends a lot of time working upper body. I wonder if he has decent legs. At least the real Bob Paris had a complete package from face to toes.

Whenever I lay down in the Aerobics Room, ostensibly to do the core routine, I'm always tempted to close my eyes and take a nap. But of course I don't. Especially since other people wander in and out to do their own stretching and core routines. Part of me wants to skip past the step machine and the second set of pull-ups and head right to the shower. But I don't. On the stepper, I set the speed to 6 which should translate to 60 steps per minute, but it's an old machine and it wavers between 52 and 55. Mostly at 52. It warms me up enough to worry slightly about whether I'm too tired to do more pull-ups. Apparently I'm not! 

This at least makes up for feeling sluggish at cardio. Later, I take the dogs to the park where they meet up with a puppy friend. The bugs aren't as bad today, maybe because the rain is knocking them out of the air? I brought my bug hat anyway but it's stuffed into the pocket of my rain coat. It's not raining hard. And my dogs don't care about being wet.

17 April 2023
Foggy Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30 + 5 (5434)
Distance: 2.78
Cal: 306
Avg Hr: 144, 180-90

HGPU 23!

15 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
15 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-55)
Steps 527
Floors 32
Cal 77
Hr 139

HGPU 22!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...