Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Worse and Yet Better

I'm not sure if this is progress but I did spend a good 4 hours last night trying to sleep on my side, because side sleeping is better than laying on your face. But most of that time was spent trying to ignore the odd and sundry pains that sporadically arose from laying on one's side. 

I'm most comfortable laying on my back with my hands closed over my chest because nothing goes numb in that position. After 4 hours, I relented, gathered up the pillows to form a core to drape myself over and promptly fell asleep. 

When I wake, 4 hours later, my left glute is sore like I got kicked by a horse and my feet are half asleep. All day, I stumble about because the edges of both my feet are tingly, my pinky toes are numb and my half my butt aches. The only part that doesn't hurt is my calf, but that doesn't last. Eventually, the calf feels swollen like all the blood is trapped somewhere deep inside. So, while my pain has subsided in intensity, I'm not garnering any relief from walking or standing anymore. 

My most comfortable seat, besides kneeling on a square of high density foam mat, is rather improbably the chairs to a kids chair and table set. The legs to the seat measure only to 11.5" high and I'm very comfortable sitting on it even though it's just coated particle board and completely unpadded. What appears to be important is the height. Have I mentioned that I'm height-challenged? I won't say that I'm petite because that implies tiny, and I am not tiny. Just short.

While I was trying to sleep, I did a cursory review of the gym equipment available and realized that I could hang from the bar on the Smith machine. And I did that a few time today. Can't say I feel any better for it though. After doing the Random Hills program for 30 minutes, I limp to the Smith and then the Aerobics Room where I place a mat against the wall for later. Planks and Bird Dogs are routine. Because the piriformis stretches feel okay, I venture to try a few Cat/Camel stretches, albeit very gingerly. 

I still roll to the side to get up. Instead of the standard Child's Pose, I do the Wall version. It feels odd, as if my back shouldn't be arching because the standard pose actually curls the back slightly over the thighs. You can't curl the back doing the Wall pose. I probably won't do this movement again, but I might try a different sciatic stretch tomorrow. 

Tropical Depression is dropping a boatload of rain today. Dogs insist that every time I reach for my coat, it's to go to the park. Sorry pups. Maybe tomorrow when the skies clear. Tomorrow will be my last dose of prednisone... can't say I'll miss the awful bitter taste they leave in my mouth. Thank goodness ibuprofen comes coated because I'm still eating those 3x a day.

1 Sept 2021
Sciatic Wednesday with Tropical Depression Ida


True Alpine Treadmill
Program: Random Hills
Time: 30 min + 2 min cd @ 1 mph
Speed 2.5
Incline variable 0.0-6.0
Distance: 1.28
Cal: 120
HR 67, av 100, high 178

Stretch from Smith Machine 10s x 2

  Skip Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
  Skip 60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Cat/Camel stretch 10x
  Skip Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Wall Child’s Pose
  Skip Push-Ups 25
  Skip Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga
  Skip Air Squats 25

Stretch from Smith Machine 10s x 2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...