Thursday, September 30, 2021

Info We Already Knew

Yeah, we already knew this: intensity counts more than mileage, so while walking is better than sitting, a pleasant stroll will be less beneficial than sprinting up the stairs every now and then. And here's something that seems obvious, but isn't: exercise is more important than weight loss for longer life. Now some might argue that this promotes a "fat but healthy" mentality, while others firmly believe that overweight is never healthy. 

How many folks have undergone bariatric surgery with the goal of achieving better mobility and health? It's not foolproof and many have still succumbed to heart failure and other fatal ailments. (Have you watched My 600 lb Life?) But exercise could kill you if you're not properly prepared. Or injure you when you least expect it, as when a disc ruptures or even just leaks a bit and compresses a nerve.

I'm recovered from my weeks of sciatic pain, but I'm in no hurry to resume a full workout routine. I do keep adding bits back, mindful of inadvertently tipping the balance toward sustained bodily insult. Yes, I'm stubborn but I'm not stupid (I hope). The elliptical program works fine today. Maybe I'll try Intervals tomorrow. Or 4 x 4 Norwegian. The second sets of Crunches and Dead Bugs are also okay. 

The only movement that gives me pause are the Air Squats, and not where I'd expect. Not in the knees, glutes or back, but rather, in the slight labral tear in my right shoulder when I squat down and my arms raise up simultaneously. I could try doing the squats with my arms bent and my hands clasped against my chest instead. Unconventional, but similar to doing a goblet squat without holding any weight? 

Again, the Lateral Shoulder Raises only get heavy after rep 12. I worried that my arms are  too tired. After shaking myself out at the Stretch Cage, I grab the top bars and proceed to squeeze out 15 reps. That felt good. Yes, I'm hoping for more. Eventually.

30 Sept 2021
Brisk Fasted Thursday

Precor elliptical
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5464)
Distance: 2.80
Cal: 309
HR: 197-143, 82

Crunches 60 x2
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs x 2
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat/Camel stretch 15x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose 10s
Cobra Pose 30s
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

DB Lateral Raises
10 lbs x 15 reps x 3

HGPU 15
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...