Monday, September 27, 2021

It's Not Always About the Steps

I felt sluggish today, probably because I hadn't really gotten enough sleep but still had to get my son off to school in the morning. When I felt like this last week, I crawled back into bed afterward. Today I have things to do, specifically, compiling and assembling the various printouts of reports and merit badges for each Scout in our Troop. Tomorrow is our first Court of Honor for the season and boys will be awarded the badges and ranks earned over the summer. We'll also provide snacks and games. So, no time to nap before taking pups to the park to play. I also eat my oatmeal because if I wait until after I get back from the park, then I'm too full to exercise properly.

A spot inside my arm initially felt like an insect bite but is behaving more like poison ivy. I take a picture of it with my phone just so I can examine it better because it's difficult to get close enough at the proper angle to see. Topical itch creams aren't helping, not that this spot really itches. It's actually a tad painful, but not quite a blister. I just hope it resolves soon. Never mind that I have absolutely no idea how I might've come into contact with poison ivy considering I know what the plant looks like and any on our property is low to the ground. No, I've not been crawling around through the weeds either.

I read an article about how 10,000 steps might not be the proper fitness goal for everyone. Wait! When did the goal become 10,000 steps?! I thought it was 7,000. Ugh. As we all know, cardio intensity counts for a lot in achieving fitness. Hence the popularity of HIIT cardio routines. The most useful information I glean is that moving faster than 130 steps per minute is considered "vigorous" activity while 100-129 is "moderate." I don't even do my cool downs at 130--feels too slow! Most of the time I aim for anything greater than 150 strides per minute. Today my speed fluctuated between 149 and 178. And so did my heart rate but we all know how unreliable those Precor HR monitors are. 

I added back another set of Dead Bugs to my routine. I'll probably add back the bent-knee crunches as well. My sciatica isn't painful but it is still present. I can feel the vague ache in my foot when I do the Cat/Camel stretch. It's been more than 2 months since I held DBs in my hands so I start slow and light: 3 sets of lateral raises with just 10 lbs and 15 reps. The last 3 reps of the last set are hard! I'm hoping I can still do at least a dozen pull-ups. I must be tired because the hardest part of pull-ups today is keeping my body from swaying. It's not usually this hard! I manage 13 and that's not so bad.

27 Sept 2021
Sunny Monday

Precor elliptical
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd
Distance: 2.78
Cal: 305
HR: 82, 182-134

Crunches legs straight up 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs x 2
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat/Camel stretch 15x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose 10s
Cobra Pose 30s
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

DB Lateral Raises
10 lbs x 15 reps x 3 sets

HGPU 13

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...