Monday, August 9, 2021

Before the Heatwave

I got a lot sorted out once my son and husband left for Boy Scout Camp, but I'm still late to the gym today. However, I don't have to rush off and so I add 10 minutes of stair-climbing to the end of my workout. It's warmer this week than it's been lately, and the forecast is for a heatwave that lasts through next weekend. I'm really thankful for the magic that is air-conditioning!

Cardio makes my skin itch until I finally break a sweat. People with ichthyosis vulgaris (IV) are all familiar with this sensation, depending on the severity. Some people don't sweat at all and are the most prone to heatstroke. I'll sweat profusely but it takes a while before that happens. The Aerobics Room is cool and empty. I do my core and stretch routine and everything feels good, including the Air Squats. I even knock out a decent amount of hammer-grip pull-ups before sitting down to Cable Rows.

The gym is crowded and I'm the only one wearing a mask except for an elderly woman at the lat pull-down station. She's a regular: I see her often walking on the treadmill or using the circuit-training machines. She also looks very frail but truthfully, most of the older women are either obese or desiccated. Give me enough time and I might fall into one of those categories. The Seated Cable Rows are easy enough but I lose count during the last set so I don't know how many reps I got. Maybe 20? Maybe less? Doesn't really matter.

Tomorrow I pick up a compost bin that the Dept of Health is selling in coordination with the Cornell Cooperative Extension. It's reasonably priced at $65 (about 30" high and round) and I've been meaning to do something with those kitchen scraps that doesn't attract raccoons and skunks to my front door. I'm also hoping to drop a few bags at the Good Will donation center. It'll be a productive day even if it means skipping the gym.

9 Aug 2021
Monday before the Heatwave

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 3
HR 81-197 av 150
Cal 322
Distance 2.88

Crunches 60
Piriformis Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga
Air Squats 25

HGPU 15

EZ Seated Cable Rows
70lbs x 15 reps
77.5 x 12
85 x 10, 12, 12
70 x 20?

Matrix StepMill
10 min
Speed 6 (52-57)
HR 160
Cal 78
Steps 533
Floors 33

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer's Gonna Be Unbearable

It was already near 60F when I woke up this morning. Already too freakin' hot! Dogs were panting after a few quick romps through the par...