Monday, August 23, 2021

Inching Toward Recovery

My chiropractor still wants an MRI and I can't blame him. I'd also like to see exactly what's causing me all this pain. No doubt an errant lumbar disc but exactly how it's affecting the sciatic nerve can make a difference in the treatment plan. No one likes to go in blind! Especially with sensitive things like nerves. 

More than the extreme discomfort in mundane activities (like driving, sitting for any reason, laying in bed to sleep) is the inability to satisfactorily void the bladder after laying face down for a few hours. It's the only reason I stumble out of bed before dawn, limping down the hall to the bathroom. If I'm up for any length of time, then nothing's a problem except getting in and out of cars, and sitting on hard locker room benches.

I'm back at the gym again just to trudge on the treadmill. It's literally better than nothing. And I get to step into a piping hot shower without too much guilt. I've increased the incline but not the speed so the mileage is the same as Friday: 1.24. My apparent heart rate however runs the gamut from 87 to 200. It's probably a cheap monitor because I think I'd know if my heart was beating 200 bpm. I'm not even sweating.

Hurricane Henri was a bust with a lot of rain and not much else. The brunt of the storm petered out over the sound before slamming into Rhode Island and missing the tip of Long Island. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow but 90F on Thursday. Next week will mark the advent of cooler temps. I'm not sure we're ready for Autumn so soon although I'd like to be able to travel to the Garlic Festival and the Sheep & Wool Festival, which are both long drives. I hope my sciatica is better by then...

23 Aug 2021
Sciatic Monday post Henri

True Alpine Treadmill
Time: 30 min
Speed 2.5
Incline 2.0, 2.5, 3.0
Distance: 1.24
Cal: 135
HR 87, av 95, high 200

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer's Gonna Be Unbearable

It was already near 60F when I woke up this morning. Already too freakin' hot! Dogs were panting after a few quick romps through the par...