Monday, March 2, 2020

First March Monday

Five and a half hours sleep isn't nearly enough but that's what I average most of the time. It used to be closer to six and a half when I made a conscious effort to be in bed before 11 pm. I'd probably feel better if I got seven. I don't even remember the last time I approached eight.

Wait! I can check my phone's sleep app. It tells me last Friday night I got six and a half hours but spent 12 minutes snoring. Unfortunately, it can't tell the difference between me and my husband. When he's away, the app records absolutely zero snoring: I don't snore. It'll also record movements like when I get up at 4 am because I had a dream about peeing and don't want to wet the bed! What am I, 3 years old?!

It's March and March weather: briskly cold and overcast in the morning and beautifully sunny and mild by mid-afternoon. Still, there's a threat of snow. I get to the gym early enough that all the treadmills are vacant. There's also no one on any of the ellipticals. I select Program 1 and pedal with my hoodie zipped up and my tunes blasting because old men like to conversationally scream at each other across empty stationary bikes.

Pullups, pushups, core abdominals; it all feels fine. It's Monday so I'm mildly concerned about being able to access the Smith machine, but it's empty so lucky me! I do the minimal amount of Inclined Benching that I feel comfortable with and move on to the DB area. Again, the Adjustable Inclined Bench is laid out flat and in use when there are other regular flat benches available. I toss my hoodie onto one of the Inclined Breaker Benches and use that for my Reverse Inclined Flys.

I know I can do the heavier sets at 25 because my last set at 20 lbs was a continuous 20 reps. I had to pause at rep 12 for a moment during the first set, and then pause at rep 15 during the second set. Going straight through to 20 tells me my shoulders are sufficiently warmed up to handle the heavier sets.

Several women appear out of nowhere to do a variety of DB exercises. I recognize one of them. She's solo today but normally brings a girlfriend that she coaches and encourages. I want to tell her that her arms are starting to look good but I find people get weird when I compliment them. Then I see B chatting with her and I lose all incentive to say anything at all. I finish with Rip Skulls and a Mat Stretch.

I see other regulars but no one I want to talk to. I have things to do, like gather all the ingredients our Troop will need tomorrow to make homemade salsa and cook a one-pot meal. My husband plans the weekly troop agenda before he leaves for Boston each week, otherwise, boys would be left to their own devices and spend all two hours staring at their phones. And I got volunteered to represent our troop at the Roundtable tonight since our Committee Chair had district obligations. Scouting isn't just an afterschool activity, it's becoming a way of life...

Meanwhile, I have an appointment with my glaucoma doc tomorrow to check my IOPs. I hope I haven't messed them up by doing pushups and lifting again.

Monday Push

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.95
Calories 332
HR 143-188 (123, 81, 86)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 24

Elbow Plank 60s
Horizontal Scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Pushups 50

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 15
70 x 25, 25, 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets
20/25 lbs x 12/20 x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 x 12, 10, 11

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...