Thursday, March 5, 2020

Cardio Adaptation

I'm not sure I'll make it to the gym tomorrow. I have an 8:45 local appointment and part of me is tempted to do a brief bout of cardio to clear my head beforehand. But part of me wants to hit the gym after the ordeal is over so that I can do a full Friday workout. I'm still undecided.

Today is a Cardio day and I'm tired and a wee bit sore (lats) from yesterday although I did manage a tad more sleep. Because hopping from the elliptical immediately to the StepMill has been grueling, I've built it into my routine. Nothing like pain to make you grit your teeth and do it again. And again. Until it doesn't hurt so much. And that's just what's happened. Instead of feeling tapped out four minutes into stair-climbing, I'm well into minute 17 before I start to feel it. It's also better not to stretch between long cardio bouts since stretching can actually weaken the muscles. I prefer to stretch at the end of my routine unless the next few things I do don't involve the stretched muscles.

I have to reassess the Reclining Hero Pose. Although it's a good stretch for the quads, it's hard on the knees and for some odd reason, my left shoulder blade threatens to knot up after I do it. Not a good thing. And I'm super cautious with my knees: I don't want to need to replace them.

One of our skittish pups freaked out yesterday during the afternoon walk, did a 360-spin in the air (while still leashed to my son) and slammed into my knee upon landing. It took me at least 2-3 minutes to regain my breath and composure. Luckily, he slammed my kneecap head-on so although it hurt like hell at first, there doesn't appear to be any lasting damage. So far. Puppies are crazy.

Sunny Cardio Thursday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program Intervals
Miles 2.94
Calories 331
HR 143-220 (105, 94, 84) Yeah, I've never seen the numbers quite so high until today

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 128
Total steps 842
Floors 52
HR 136

Cage Stretch

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60
Sideway Scissors 60
Crunches 60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Quick Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...