Monday, March 9, 2020

I Hate Daylight Savings Time

When my alarm went off this morning, I wondered why it was waking me up in the middle of the night. It wasn't but it sure seemed that way, especially since I'd been sleeping until 9 am on the weekend. It's definitively morning at 9 am. Some people relish the "extra hour" of daylight in the evening. Odds are good those people don't get up at 5:45 am.

Because I'm biologically a "night owl" sleeping in isn't actually getting extra sleep. It's just getting enough sleep and I'm lucky if I top 7 hours. So this morning was extra cruel and hard on the elliptical. Or maybe I'm blaming the shift in time when I should be considering the fact I don't remember the last time I drank my beet powder mix. It was a few weeks ago, and maybe it takes a few weeks before all that nitric oxide goodness fully dissipates from the body? I resolve to start drinking the SuperBeets mix again when I get home. 

Even pushups feel a little difficult today. Still, I know I could do more than 25. I see B standing next to the Smith so I motion to her to ask if she's using it. She's not. She's doing squats in the seated press station. It's an older piece of equipment, which means the seat can be removed and the sidebars adjusted with pins. I finish my warmup sets and am about to add another 10 lb plate to the bar when I realize that B has put her 10 lb plate on the other side of my bar. She meant to rerack it but spaced. I don't need to add a plate there now and I start laughing because that's funny. She starts laughing too, unsure why.

At the DB racks, a big guy I don't recognize stands inches from the mirror. He's short and thick with huge arms, chest, and shoulders. I certainly don't want to get between his flexing and the mirror. I do my shoulder supersets on the big adjustable bench, careful not to bang against the adjustment knob under the inclined back. Then I have to search out a vacant breaker bench so I can do my last exercise: Rip Skulls. I feel more stable setting my feet flat on the support beam under the head of the bench instead of letting my legs dangle because I'm too short for my feet to reach the ground. And knees bent with feet on the bench is definitely not stable enough.

There is mass hysteria over the novel coronavirus pandemic. Hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, and bulk toilet paper have disappeared out of stores. Gas prices dropped overnight. Although the story is now that there are two strains circulating, people really won't know they've been infected unless they get tested. And they wouldn't get tested unless they had a reasonable chance of exposure. Or they felt really ill. Of course, cases popping up without any obvious ties to international travelers have made everyone incredibly paranoid.

The gym has several whiteboards propped up against equipment, reminding people to wipe down the machines after use. Uh, you're supposed to do that anyway! Not just during a pandemic. And the best advice? Wash your damn hands. Properly. Not just a quick rinse under the tap. It still grosses me out when I hear people leave the toilet stall without washing. If I saw them, they'd be guilted into washing. I don't know what they're thinking? Didn't touch anything? How did you get out of the damn stall then?


Daylight Savings Monday Push

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.92
Calories 329
HR 157-209 (83, 96)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 24

Elbow Plank 60s
Horizontal Scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Pushups 25

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 15
70 x 25, 25, 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets
20/25 lbs x 12/20 x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 x 12, 11, 10

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...