Friday, March 13, 2020

Yep, THAT Friday

The school district two towns over shut down after reports that a student's relative had symptoms akin to the novel coronavirus. I know that a few gym regulars hail from that town. One of them is a school bus driver. Is it just me, or am I right to be upset that she's shown up for BodyPump class today because school's been canceled? I confront her as nicely as I can after class is over. She confirms that it's a HS student, and her son attends that school and yes, she drives for the same. So, not only can she potentially become a transmitter through her son, but also as a school bus driver.

While tests have not confirmed COVID-19 yet, I'm really annoyed with this woman for not only potentially spreading the virus, but also putting gym members at risk since many are elderly. Half the group classes are attended by people over the age of 60. Apparently, "social isolation" doesn't mean anything to her unless she actually tests positive for the virus. But because a person can be asymptomatic for 5 or more days before showing signs of illness, it'll be too late. She's young and healthy. She may not show signs at all. I'm pissed. I think she's being cavalier and selfish. But maybe that's just me because I'm the person who drives down the lane in an empty parking lot instead of recklessly cutting across.

On the other hand, my husband went to Boston yesterday and will be back today. While all the universities and schools have shuttered their doors and sent students home, the airports remain busy. I'm hoping my husband hasn't had contact with any asymptomatic viral carriers. As I write this, I get a text from my son and a simultaneous email from the school: schools in our area will be closed on Monday and Tuesday for planning and deep cleaning of buses and facilities. The exceptionally warm winter means the district can use banked snow days and students can do their classwork online. Thank goodness our district upgraded their tech abilities so that all students can have online access via school-provided Chromebooks. But I'm still planning to go exercise, just maybe not quite as early? Unless my son needs to be in his online class at 7:20 am... 

Meanwhile, I go to the gym as usual, and have very little to do with anyone there, as usual. The old guys that normally huddle on the stationary bikes aren't here today. Fridays are generally quiet days and worse when there's fog and rain. It's also Friday the 13th. My legs have been slightly sore all week. I decide to mix things up today and do three sets of hammer grip pullups. I also give myself time to recover aerobically between the elliptical and the StepMill. In the Aerobic Room, the gym owner is stacking smaller white speakers atop the big old black ones affixed to every corner. It'll be even louder now! Core is easy. Pushups are easy. And while pullups aren't as easy as I'd like, they're easy enough to knock out reps.

My hammertoes and other body parts complain during Walking Lunges. The fewer steps, the longer my stride. I try not to touch my knee to the floor because they're already spotty with bruises from doing Bicycle Crunches during Core. At the Seated Leg Curl, I position the cross-pad in the same notch but it feels a bit snug. I wonder if my thighs are getting bigger?! Am I getting fatter, or is it actually muscle? I don't know. I am heavier than I'd like to be. (The hammertoes complain even more now and I suspect it's because I'm wearing my Ariat FatBaby boots again.) I watch a new regular, Little Red, walk laps around the gym between sets of something in the free weight area. He's a short muscular man with some arm tats and a flaming red beard worthy of a Viking. I saw MilkWhite earlier. And Polish Girl.

After my last set of pullups (which surprised me that I could pull this off because I haven't done three sets in one workout in a long time), I attempt to do a Pistol Squat. Without falling on my face or my butt. Going down on the right leg is easier than dropping down on the left, especially when the extended right front quad clenches in a mock spasm. It passes. I stand up, bend my knee and shake it out. Then I try again. Each time it's a bit easier. The 3rd rep is the best. But my legs are tired so I stop before I actually do fall on my face or butt. I remember being able to do 6 to 8 in succession not that many years ago. But hey, I'm turning 60 tomorrow, so I think I'm doing pretty good.

Friday 13th Cardio + Legs

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.94
Calories 331
HR 146-207 (100, 83, 96)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60
Sideway Scissors 60
Crunches 60
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
PushUps 25

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 128
Total steps 841
Floors 52
HR 116

HGPU 24

Walking Lunges
29+28= 57

1-Leg Seated Leg Curls
(Hammertoes cramping)
15lbs x 12
30 x 12
35 x 12
40 x 12

HGPU 25

Pistol Squats
3 each leg

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...