Friday, July 12, 2019

Yes I'm Thin-Skinned

I read an article about highly sensitive people (HSP) and realized that I'm one of them. It's not just being "thin-skinned" or overly sensitive, although I've been called that too. Or maybe it is just that. A biological difference that explains why I'm the princess in The Princess & The Pea story, why every little environmental change affects and distracts me, but why when I can tune everything out, I'm highly focused and efficient. It also explains why I have such a hard time with rejection.

Today I got an email telling me that the dog rescue had failed our home visit and we were in fact rejected from adopting the chow-mix we had selected. Of course, they wouldn't tell us what exactly was wrong with our house either. Normally this would've really stung, but I think I'm getting better at handling rejection. It did bother me enough that I dwelled on the appropriate next steps throughout my gym workout. Still, I'm okay with moving on. My husband has planned so many long-weekend trips that I'm not that comfortable with adopting a new dog and leaving it alone, albeit with a visiting dog-sitter. Dogs need company, and my plan has been to adopt one, let him settle in and then adopt a companion. But first things first.

My son is asleep when I leave for the gym so I'm able to do a solo workout and it's very freeing. I start with 30 minutes of Program 1 on the elliptical, then some pull-ups even though I did them yesterday. I keep spacing out while doing Core but recover my senses when I step back into the free weight area. The Mayor is hovering over a lanky teenage girl who doesn't look like his daughter. He keeps trying to advise her. She's polite but spends most of her time staring at her phone. It seems kind of creepy to me. Even weirder is that I can't hear his raspy wheezy voice through my tunes, so he must be speaking normally.

I'm wearing my capris with the odd side pockets that are too small for my humongous phone but just the right size for the iPod Nano that holds my tunes. The only time it slips out is when I'm doing side planks, otherwise, it's fairly secure with its red holder and pocket clip.

Personally, I think the girl's more comfortable with me on the next bench doing my DB routine. I benched yesterday so I do inclined flys today before lateral raises and reverse inclined flys. It's been a long time so I stick to just 20 lbs and today that's enough. I finish with RG BB Curls, picking up the 40 lb bar. I haven't done this is probably six weeks so I don't know if this will be too heavy. I do it anyway. Later, when I try to flex my biceps, my left arm verges on a spasm, as if I've worked biceps much too hard. So weird. Or maybe I'm just falling apart as I age. Because I'm taking my son to the gym tomorrow, I decide to do another 20 minutes on the elliptical, running the Interval program, something I wouldn't do with him in tow. More cardio is better for me anyway.

Thursday Solo

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.92
Calories 329
HR 148-191 (92)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20
Crunches 40/60
Bicycles 50
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

DB Incl Flys
15 lbs x 15 reps
20 x 12 x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flys
20 x 12/15reps x 3 sets

BB RG Curls
40 lbs x 20 reps x 3 sets

20 elliptical + 5 cd
Intervals
Miles 2.11
Calories 237
HR 139-183 (97)

Mat Stretch





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...