Friday, July 26, 2019

Two Posts in One

I got a little busy yesterday between dragging my son off to the gym, getting some grocery shopping done (with my son's help) and then making dinner in a hurry so we could attend the astronomy presentation at our local library. The speaker was excellent and those who could wait until it was dark were treated to a viewing of Jupiter and a few moons, and then Saturn with its ring and a few moons. My son and I didn't leave the parking lot until well past 10 pm, but that was mostly to help my friend who had lugged her own non-functioning telescope from home to see if the guest speaker could get it working. He was successful, but it took a lot of effort and wasn't really worth it since the images were very fuzzy. But it worked and she was thrilled that this unnecessarily complicated piece of equipment finally showed her a planet.

Today I let my son sleep in while I did most of my cardio routine. I skipped Walking Lunges because I didn't want to be too blown out before a job interview. Gosh, I haven't had one of those in forever. Seriously. I usually never get past the initial application stage so the last time I had an interview was for my last full-time position way back in 1994. I think it went well today. Now I have to fill out an online survey and if that passes muster, I come back for a second interview. I'm hopeful, but there are other candidates, so I won't be crushed if I don't get it.

Yesterday, my son and I did a cardio warmup, then our basic core routine before pushing a few weights. My son complains during the heavy set of Smith Inclined Presses that his wrist hurts. Uh oh. You cannot bench with a joint issue like that. I cut the session short and we do Seated Cable Rows. Afterward, I give him the choice of cardio machines: he chooses the treadmill. I do a fast walk but since I don't want to stress my knees, I'm not going all that fast. My pulse barely rises past 100 and I'm not even close to feeling warm or limber. Oh well.

Thursday Combo

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 288
Miles 2.64
HR 132-189 (83)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23 Child 8
Child Push Ups 30

Crunches Legs Up 50
Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 50
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press with Child
Bar (30) x 12
50 x 12
Child 70 x 12 right wrist!
70 x 25, 25

Cable Rows
70lbs x 12
77.5 x 12
85 x 12

20 Treadmill
Speed 2.7
Incline 3.0
Calories 94
Miles 0.84
HR 96

Mat Stretch

I make up for it today. Three different cardio machines, three sets of pull-ups and a few seated leg curls too. Admittedly, after leg curls, I'm less enthusiastic about pedaling on the Octane machine, but I still do it. Just slower. My quads are sore. All this cardio and I certainly don't have skinny legs. Nope. I think my glutes and quads are actually bigger which explains why none of my shorts fit. Ugh.

Meanwhile, I've started the new drug Rhopressa and so far the only side-effect is a slight redness to my eyes. That and a vague headache, but pilocarpine also gave me a headache. I'm hoping that my IOPs will drop the 3 points my doc is looking for, and that I'll be able to afford it. My health insurance declined to cover it so my pharmacy won't even tell me what it costs.

Online, the drug with discount cards from GoodRx and the like still costs a whopping $250-$279 per month. I'm using the sampler my doctor's office gave me to see if this drug is even worth looking at. If it's not effective (there's a subset of patients who either can't tolerate the side effects -- picture blood-red eyes or do not experience any IOP drop), then there's no point to pursuing a cost-saving measure. The Rhopressa site itself offers a discount card that's either good for 3 months or 6 prescriptions. And then what? I guess I'll worry about that after I find out if it's working for me. I see my eye doc in a few weeks to discuss the results of my last visual field exam and next steps.

Cardio Friday Plus

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.90
Calories 325
HR 152-190 (81, 91)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20

Crunches 50/50
Leg horizontal scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 Step Mill
Level 3
Calories 114
Total steps 718
Floors 44
HR 122

HGPU 20

2:1 Seated Leg Curls
15lbs x 12
30 x 12, 12, 12

15 Octane
Default Manual
Miles 1.26
Calories 92
HR 80-134 (average 111)

HGPU 20

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...