Tuesday, July 23, 2019

After the Rain

I finally got a decent night's sleep when temperatures plummeted 20 degrees during torrential rains. I've never actually driven through rain so fast and furious that I could barely see the car ahead of me at 4 in the afternoon much less the lane markers along the road. Most drivers had the good sense to put their lights on. It's also New York State law. However, every tenth driver was clueless enough to drive without headlamps. I cursed them under my breath. The rain continued through the night with flash flood warnings, and power outages due to downed trees and electric lines. Besides a wonderful break in the heat, the rain also seems to have sprouted new life in the swamp milkweeds which had been leafless stalks just a few days ago.

I'm not normally on the road at this time but I had to do an Amazon return and for that, I had to go to Kohl's two towns over. Normally I'd just bring the package to my local UPS which is fairly convenient. Kohl's makes you wait in the same line as merchandise returns and pickups. It's a long wait. It is also a chance for Kohl's to bring new customers into the store so I understand why it's being done. But next time I'll get my husband to print out a UPS return label instead.

Today I wait until the afternoon to get my son up. We arrive at the gym a little before 2 pm so the lunch crowd is gone. I'm a little chilly until I start my cardio warmup. Afterward, I feel much better. My son keeps a steady pace while plugged into his phone. At least he's moving. He's also remembered his form doing pull-ups and I'm pleased. He only gets eight, but they are eight good pull-ups. I do my standard set. In the classroom, after pushups, we chat during our core ab exercises. My son struggles with balance during bird dogs while my nemesis continues to be horizontal scissors.

In the free weight area, there's no bench in the Smith cage. Guys are scattered everywhere and no one has reracked their plates. I locate and drag an adjustable bench from the DB area past a guy during slow curls in front of the BB rack. Most people clear out of my way. I'm clearly displeased that I have to stop to pick an Olympic bar off the floor and put it back on the bench. It's in my way. I don't hide my displeasure, but my son is obliviously looking at his phone. It's okay. I don't know how a 14-year old feels about having a bad-ass for a mother. I see a few regulars who seemed surprised not only to see me but also that I have my son in tow.

We knock out sets of Inclined Press and I talk to my son about his breathing because I see that his face reddens during the last set of 70 lbs. I don't want him picking up bad habits like holding his breath. He tells me that he feels a bit light-headed because he's trying to get his air between the press and drop of the bar. I used to do that and it will cause you to hyperventilate. Not a good habit. I make him practice his breathing with just the bar. I'll have to pay better attention next time. He counts my 25 reps and he's suitably impressed. I'm very happy that he does three sets of 12. Then we move to Seated Cable Rows. It's easy at 70 lbs and more work at 85, but doable. When we're done, he complains that his arms have no energy left in them. Time to do a little cardio, and then stretch. We're done.

Tuesday Mixed Workout

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.85
Calories 318
HR 149-190 (80)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20
Child 8
Child pushups 30

Crunches 40/60
Bicycles 50
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Incline Press
Bar (30) x 12
50 x 12
(Ch 70 x 12, 12, 12)
70 x 25, 25, 25

Seated Cable Row
70 x 12
85 x 12, 12, 12

20 Step Mill
Level 3
Calories 111
Total steps 694
Floors 43
HR 122

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...