Thursday, July 18, 2019

Exercise as Medicine

Yesterday morning I had 4 fat caterpillars in my yard. After an afternoon storm, I went to check on them and found nothing. The plants and caterpillar poop were still there, but no baby butterflies. No blackening bodies in the dirt and no chrysalises hanging off leafy undersides. It's as if they'd all been raptured.

They had been sizeable at two inches long and seemed healthy. I know it's silly to mourn this bewildering outcome, but that's how I feel. I feel loss. I second-guess myself and wonder if I should've put them in a big glass jar with leaves, protected them, and fed them like pets. I really wanted to have them pupate and emerge as beautiful monarch butterflies.

I'm so distraught and simultaneously distracted by the constant barrage of bogus phone calls from scammers claiming to be from "social security," that I leave my phone home when I go to the gym. I only realize this after I've already parked. This isn't critical, like forgetting my sneakers. Can't workout without gym shoes, but a phone?

Well, I'll try to remember pertinent info but my routine is basic enough so that I don't need reminders. Where I run into trouble is during core when I get to planks. I'm not going to stare up at the clock on the wall even though it's got a second hand. Then I remember that I do have my iPod nano (to listen to my tunes) and it has a clock function. That means it has a timer and a stopwatch!

I knock out my Push Day workout and two rounds of cardio. Because I'm doing a standard routine, the only trouble I have recounting is the data for cardio, and that's not all that important. I feel better after my workout. I always do. But I still miss checking on the caterpillars. Meanwhile, I have a tray of swamp milkweed on order, set to be delivered in the next few weeks. This gives me some time to prep a few spots in my yard. Maybe I'll get luckier this time.

Phone Home Thursday

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories
Miles 2.6+
HR (87)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Crunches Legs Up 50
Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 50
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 12
50 x 12
70 x 25 x 3

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/15 reps x 3

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.02
Calories 200+
HR 151-189?

Mat Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...