Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Intensity

My dreams this morning aren't quite as vivid and I'm puzzled as how to get that back. Although content isn't critical, colors and a memory sensation of the actual dream experience does provide oddly enjoyable satisfaction. Maybe I'll check out the new Sleepy Time peach or vanilla flavored teas. Of course, it's much too warm lately to drink hot milk before bed.

I tend to read a lot before bedtime. The latest research suggests that exercise-enhanced brown fat cell produce a hormone that can convert white fat into metabolic powerhouses, and convert white fat stem cells into bone cells. Pretty neat. Other literature reveals a mechanism where environment can alter genetics through free-floating msRNA in the blood stream. So we're not all at the mercy of our genetics after all, but also our parents' traumas and other life-experiences. Ugh.

Today is a Pull Day, and of course, I'm highly skeptical that I'll be able to pull any substantial weight at the Smith. I actually skip planks and knee-ins! I make all my sets but I feel my form breaking down during the last two. Ugh. I also get my sets and reps for Smith Reverse Grip BB Rows. My right lat is sore, and that totally surprises me. I like to give myself half a chance to achieve a complete set of pull ups, so before Seated One-Arm Cable Rows (which tire my biceps more than my lats) I'm at the Stretch Cage for Set 2 of HGPUs. When I return to the weight area, I see one cable station empty so I drop my gear on the seat. As I scan for the appropriate handle, I hear The Mayor who is on the Calf Press behind me, saying "I just got one more set". WTF? He's frantically waving at the vacant cable rowing station. Ugh.

Maybe I'm a bitch, but I just walk away without saying anything, making eye contact or even acknowledging his existence. There's nothing to indicate that machine is in use, especially since there's no handle attached to the cable. But I soooooo don't want to have a discussion about it, so I hop on the elliptical because that's next on my list. When someone is on the machine or station you want to use, and there's other things you can do, you should just walk away. And that's just what I do. It must've upset him though because as I'm pedaling away, he's suddenly up on the cardio platform, ostensibly to say Hi to SnowBird who is on the stationary bike in front of me. When my 30 minutes of Intervals is done, I amble over to do my last set of HGPUs, and I see The Mayor seated at the juice bar, looking worriedly over towards Machine City. Oh jeeze.

After pull ups, I go back to the cable station and knock out the very last exercise in my Pull Day routine. If The Mayor says anything to me the next time I'm at the gym, I'll probably just say it's not a big deal. Because it isn't. And I don't want to have a lengthy discussion about it. Is that too "macho"? That's probably not the usual social behavior among this crowd, especially among older ladies, but I'm not like most people here. Gym rats who get stuff done are the least inclined to be chatty. I think I'll whack the machine on Friday. It's been a while!

Wednesday Workout
(5.14 miles total cardio)

30 min elliptical
Program 3
2.56 miles
290 cal

HGPU 31
Cr 3 x 50
Push ups 100

Smith SLDLs
Bar x 15
80, 100, 120 x 12
130 x 10, 12

Smith RG BB Row
Bar x 15
80, 100, 120, 130 x 15

HGPU 31

30 min elliptical
Intervals
2.58 miles
293 cal

HGPU 31

Seated 1-Arm Cable Row
30 x 12
45 x 12 x 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...