Friday, October 14, 2016

In Spite Of

I have a hard time functioning on just 6 hrs sleep so I give serious consideration to blowing off this morning's workout. Except that I don't. But I give priority to cardio over iron and choose my footwear accordingly. The Ryka's are too squishy for any movement requiring foot support, like SLDLs, but my feet will be happy when I torture myself with Intervals later on.

I'm not quite sure how long it'll take to get to the mammogram place so I give myself a good 45 minutes for travel time. It's probably too much, but I'd rather be early than late. Besides, you never know when some peculiarity of traffic will force you onto a circuitous detour. Working backwards on my schedule, I see that I have enough time for 2 cardio sessions and my body weight routine. The Smith is perpetually busy anyway, so I don't feel guilty not doing SLDLs or BB RG Rows today. I'm actually a tad sore from yesterday's workout, and maybe even last night's swim class.

Technically, today should be a Pull Day, but I figure two sets of chin ups will suffice. I also knock out a bunch of push ups just because I don't want to bore myself. I'm not fond of the Cybex Torso Twist machine, but do a set on it while waiting for the Stretch Cage to clear. Seniors love the Stretch Cage! I don't like to rush people so I sit back and occupy other equipment until they finish. But there are people I avoid like the proverbial plague.

Creepy PJ Pants comes off his treadmill and hovers by the pull down station. He looks around confused until he realizes that I've skipped the weight area completely, having moved directly from the mats back to the cardio platform. I see old Frankenstein staring from across Machine City so I re-position myself on the elliptical to block him. (I've asked my husband to tell me what guys think when they blatantly stare like that. He tells me he has no idea. He's no help whatsoever because it'd never occur to him to act like that.) Shaggy, Shazam, little R, The Mayor and other regulars are also present, but at least they have the good sense to work out. Or act like they're working out.

In spite of fatigue, I still mange to make respectable mileage today. And a respectable amount of reps for push ups, and pull ups. In spite of being a tad sore in the quads, I manage to maintain 240 SPMs for nearly 60 seconds during the last quarter of Intervals. And in spite of a lingering chest cold, I think I got a pretty decent workout. The gym scale reads 110.6 lbs today so I think it's all excess water weight. I'd still be happier if the scale were back down to 108. Maybe next week?

I get to the radiology place with over 15 minutes to spare, so I chow down a Quest bar for lunch, and return phone calls while in my car. The mammogram is administered by a visibly pregnant young woman. She's due at the end of November and I know from experience that she's going to virtually double in size. Unless that unpleasant odor of cigarette smoke means the baby's going to be small. Because it's unmistakably cigarette smoke that I smell only when she's standing right next to me. It's sad, and I don't say anything about it, even though I want to.

Friday Workout
(5.15 miles total cardio)

30 min elliptical
Program 3
2.56 miles
290 cal

Knee-Ins 50
HGPU 31

Regular Push Ups 80
Crunches 3 X 50
T push ups 25

Bird Dog 2 X 60 sec
Side plank 2 X 60 sec

Dand push ups 25

30 min elliptical
Intervals
2.59 miles
293 cal

Cybex Torso twist
2 X 15 X 30 lbs

HGPU 36  Yaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...