Friday, March 18, 2016

Grudgingly Back to the Grind

Today
I haven't worked out in nearly two weeks. At first I had relatively mild symptoms, except for the extreme fatigue. Then, I developed the chronic runny and yet stuffy nose, sore throat and nasty headache from congested sinuses. Nothing like having your sinus infection migrate from the upper left over your eye to the lower right under your eye. And coincidentally, into your ear and upper teeth. Not really, but it felt that way. For a whole week my nasal discharge was a copiously clear or cloudy. Then I got frustrated, started taking a "flu and cold tonic" made from apple cider vinegar and chopped onions, garlic, hot peppers, ginger, and the juice of one lemon.

Suddenly my phlegm colored itself fluorescent green. Flecked with clots of red and brown. That would be ruptured blood vessels inside the nasal cavities. It's painful, and burns like sucking chlorinated pool water up your nose. I started using my Neti pot again just to get some relief. Keeping in mind the stories about people who got brain-eating amoebas from using tap water in their nasal irrigation, I always bring my water to a boil, and then allow it to cool before using. One cup of water plus 1/4 tsp salt makes a good saline solution.

Last weekend
It's been nearly two whole weeks. I'm not as tired, but my sinuses still hurt. I'm not as congested although the head cold is trying to migrate into my chest. I did solve my neck itch problem by slathering myself in generic Vick's Vaporub, after reading about all the great things this liniment cures due to the thymol, menthol and camphor in the petrolatum base. Not only does it act as a mild anesthetic, it's anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

Today I ease into my gym routine by only doing a few sets of old standbys. I'm tired, but I'll live. The one good thing about taking two weeks off, is that my sciatica seems a lot better. And although my endurance is down a bit, I'm still pretty strong.

Friday Workout
5.88 miles total cardio

Steady State
Calorie :   134 CAL
Distance: 3.54 mile
Speed :    7.06 mph
Duration : 00:30:00
191.67
Set 1 : 115x20
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
80
Set 1 : 80 Lap/Rep
Prgm#1
Calorie :   253 CAL
Distance: 2.34 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
195.5
Set 1 : 115x21
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...