Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Another Abbreviated Workout

I haven't been to the gym since last Thursday. Friday I had an appointment with the tax preparer and Monday was just too cold and rainy. Seriously. After spending 20 minutes standing in 38F rain and wind, waiting for my gimpy dog to do his messy business, all I want to do is crawl back into bed and pull the fleece covers up to my chin while I sip on coffee and read the newspaper. Which is exactly what I do since it's the last day of Spring Break and my son is still asleep. Childhood ends soon enough. I figure I'll let him sleep while he can.

When I go through the mail, I get a letter from Synchrony Bank (GE Capital Retail) offering to give me an interest-free account on my R'Us account as long as I pay my balance in full. Otherwise the interest rate is a ridiculous 26.99%. I thought loan-sharking was illegal, and I'm not sure why they're mailing this letter out since not only do I not carry any balances on my credit cards, but I certainly wouldn't use one with such a high interest rate if I did, especially to buy toys. Because it's a Toys R Us credit card. I want to know what Rocket Scientist actually thought this was a good deal?

The dog had a bad reaction to the Metacam (canine NSAID) so he's now on a combination of gabapentin and tramadol for pain, and a probiotic and an antibiotic for the gastric bleeding. The dog has gone from pooping BBQ sauce (definitely gastric bleeding there), to stress poops (orange & gelatinous), to just ochre diarrhea with flecks of red and orange. Unfortunately, the runny poops could also be a side effect of stress, antibiotics and/or tramadol. But he's in a much better mood, wanting to chase feral cats, and thinking he can climb up the 5 steps to the front door. But we won't let him. Because he still has a ruptured ACL.

Today is sunny. But so windy that patio furniture seat cushions are lying in the road. Not sure who's missing those. My son's school has a half day today due to Parent-Teacher conferences so my workout is short and intense. I'm not happy that I develop stitches just under my sternum that migrate to the left side of my chest while I'm on the Cross-trainer. Or the numbness in my right foot. They're all gone by the time I attempt my first set of pull ups. I knock out push ups interspersed with crunches. I need more time if I want to do planks again.

I see a few familiar faces, crawling out of winter hibernation or back from Snow Bird land. Creepy PJ Pants on the treadmill, the Mayor holding court between the cable stations, M chatting with Hollywood. Flirty Girl laughing at someone's joke. And me? I'm singing along (silently) to my iPod tunes as I pedal the elliptical. For my 2nd and last set of pull ups, I keep my elbows bent until rep 20, then drop into a full extension. I manage 3 more reps and I'm very happy!

I read an article about a 7-minute workout that requires no equipment other than a mat, chair and wall. I'm not keen on the jumping jacks due to my wonky joints but the rest of it looks fun. But first, I have to get back to my full routine, and then I'll add variations. Ah, something to look forward to! 

Tomorrow will be a normal school day, so I'm planning to whack the Nexersys for a few rounds. Okay. 12-15 rounds. I need new workout gloves but my gym hasn't ordered any new gear in months. The only gloves are Mediums and larger, and those are so big that my fingers barely poke out past the finger holes. I still have my Happy Birthday Postcard which entitles me to a free protein shake, and 15% off a clothing or gear purchase. I might get a shake tomorrow, and celebrate my birthday. Finally.

Tuesday Workout
(6.38 miles total cardio)

Steady State
Calorie :   139 CAL
Distance: 3.87 mile
Speed :    7.72 mph
Duration : 00:30:00
190.4
Set 1 : 112x21
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
100
Set 1 : 100 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
80
Set 1 : 80 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Prgm#1
Calorie :   282 CAL
Distance: 2.51 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
197.87
Set 1 : 112x23 Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...