Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Underestimated Strength



Today is Whack the Machine Day and I'm mildly excited. My upper back, delts and lats are actually a little sore. I'm not sure why. I blame the 50 T-push ups I did yesterday because other than that, my routine was well, rather routine. (Actually, I did 80, but I wasn't counting the first set.)

I manage to ignore the phantom strike commands for the most part, but I'm still flummoxed by some of the combinations in the Advance rounds. What's most annoying is that the machine program is not consistent, advising you that it will be using X and Y combinations in the upcoming round, and then either not, or tossing completely different combinations (W and Z) at you. It wouldn't be so irksome if missing those blows didn't ruin your accuracy score, but it does. The screen also stays blank longer when I hit a Power Sweep or Cross too hard. Which means I miss directives for a blow or two. Bye-Bye, accuracy. Oh well...

I don't bust a sweat during the entire 5-round Beginner session. Not even breathing hard. That all changes with the Intermediate rounds. And the Advance rounds kicks my butt. Thank goodness the machine can't actually punch back. I do 15 active minutes on the Step Mill. Most people trudge up the steps as if they've got weights on their shoulders. Half of them are slumped on the arm rests. I try to alleviate the tedium by changing my footwork every 60 seconds. A minute of stepping across, a minute of stepping sideways to the left, then to the right. A minute of rocking on the balls of my feet as I step up. A minute of pulling myself forward and back as if I'm rowing with each step. That's five different gaits in five minutes. Repeat twice again and 15 minutes is done.

I stretch out my hamstrings, and then look blearily at the roof of the Stretch Cage. My forearm feels okay today. My shoulders, lats and upper back are okay for now, but I'm sure they'll stiffen up as I cool down. Only 15 reps. By rep 12 I feel tired even though I'm careful not to go to full extension on the descent. Keeping elbows slightly bent is suppose to take the stress off those joints. I get 15 and then just dangle there for a moment, at full extension. Okay, let's see if I can do just one more pull up. And I do. And another. And another. Until I've gotten five more from a dead drop. Wow, that was a surprise! And I feel good.

Tuesday Workout

Warm Up
Calorie :   95 CAL
Distance: 0.84 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

Follow Me 
Lap/Rep :  15 Lap/Rep
Duration : 01:00:00
Spd 6
Calorie :   117 CAL
Lap/Rep :  49 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:15:00
183.33
Set 1 : 110x20 Wahoo! 

Photos posted for actual stats: 

5 rounds Beginner Follow Me


5 rounds Intermediate Follow Me


5 rounds Advance Follow Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...