Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snow Storm Prep

Can't see it here but delts
and lats are a bit bigger!
I did a light work out yesterday and then rushed home to get ready for the impending storm, Jonas. Although the meteorologists kept insisting that anything north of Insterstate-84 would barely get a dusting of snow, I know that absolutely no one can predict the weather with 100% accuracy. Snow prep basically consists of gathering lots of well-past-seasoned firewood and dragging it (in a handcart) either inside the house, or to a rack closer to the house and then securing it with a heavy-duty tarp. I was pleasantly surprised that the local Home Depot wasn't mobbed Friday afternoon when I went to buy more tarps. I'm sure the grocery was totally sold out of milk and bread though.

Friday's light workout consisted of mostly cardio, and then some light weights and body weight stuff. I kept the rep count low (for me). And I did a lot of one of the piriformis stretches I found online between planks. It seems to help a bit. What doesn't help are lunges or any sort of lunging movement. Driving my car also seems to exacerbate the condition because of the way I have to extend my right leg to hit the gas. My sister once suggested a pedal extender but I'm irrationally worried I'll get my foot caught on it. It already feels crowded in my car because I'm so close to the steering wheel. Damn these short arms and legs!

Warm winter coats have been problematic this season. I've already ordered and sent back three in the past three weeks. I got a down coat from Lands End and sent it back because it was too tight in the arm pits. I think doing all those pull ups is having an actually effect on my life, but not the one I expected. The next size up fit okay, but the lack of more than two pockets was troubling, and the down kept leaking out of the seams. Back it went. I ordered LLBeans' Baxter Parka, advertised as their warmest parka. I normally order a Small Petite. The coat again was too tight in the arm pits, and although it had enough pockets, I actually couldn't reach the slash ones on the upper chest once I was zipped up! So I returned it. The phone rep suggested I order a Small Regular since having a longer body length might fix the armpit and pocket issue. It's either that or I order a Medium Petite. Luckily I have all my old coats (LE down, LLB goose down and LE Thinsulate) but each one has issues.

The old down coat is leaking (I resorted to patching with duct tape) and its light sleeping-bag nylon fabric makes the coat useless once it gets wet, which happens once your body heat meets the snow. Also, the fabric catches in the zipper 9 times out of 10. Very irksome. But it has great pockets! The goose down coat is warm, and very very puffy in spite of the heavier fabric. Pockets not as useful. And the fabric, although water resistant, isn't water proof. So in the snow, eventually you get cold and wet. The Thinsulate coat is much more water resistant, but heavier. The Baxter promises to be lightweight, warm and waterproof. If only it actually fit. Sigh.

Move the knee across the body
to stretch the glute and piriformis.
Using the foam roller at home is great for the knots in my upper back and shoulders, but doesn't do anything for my sciatic pain. A piriformis stretch is the only thing that's worked so far. But once I sit on something hard, like a bench, I'm in pain again. I had this problem when we went on vacation back in December, and there I resorted to a lot of ibuprofen. I might have to do that again. At least I know I'll get some relief. After 3 days of ibuprofen and a lot of walking, the sciatic pain was mostly gone. I just hate taking something that I know is going to impede muscle growth and recovery. Speaking of which, my shoulders are still sore! I look in the mirror and I think they've changed shape, which is good because I'm tired of having huge triceps that slope in to my shoulders. Now they don't. Cool! My arms and back are going to get a workout from shoveling after the storm, so I cut sets and reps today.

I've been reading articles questioning the advice to supplement with calcium, Vitamin D3, etc. I know that fish oil and zinc have proven beneficial to me. I'm not so sure about the calcium and D. There's talk about how ingested calcium just ends up giving you kidney stones. Ugh! When I search the internet for proof of calcium supplementation efficacy, I don't actually find any. I know that ZMA helps me sleep better. Not sure about the testosterone boost, theoretically only in male athletes...

Friday Workout
(6.65 miles cardio)
Steady State
Calorie :   140 CAL
Distance: 4.06 mile
Speed :    8.11 mph
Duration : 00:30:00
183.33
Set 1 : 110x20
Straight/Elbow
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30 
 
Piriformis Stretch
Bird Dog
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
 
Piriformis Stretch
Side
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
 
Piriformis Stretch
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
112
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 50x13
Set 3 : 70x12
Set 4 : 80x12
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12 SuperSet with
30
Set 1 : 20x15
Set 2 : 20x15
Set 3 : 20x15
Prgm#3
Calorie :   295 CAL
Distance: 2.59 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
187
Set 1 : 110x21

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...