Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Lamest Excuse Ever...

That's my take on it. Having a bum gallbladder is the worst excuse ever for not doing pull ups. Yep. I can do them, but my gallbladder won't let me. Sigh. I tried again today and got to rep 8 before it was just too damn painful to continue. The soreness persists for hours afterwards. The gastroenterologist palpates my abdomen. When he presses directly under my right rib cage, I wince. Yep, it's the gallbladder. He consults with the radiologist who notes that the organ is slightly thicker now, indicating inflammation. The stones may or may not have passed, but the gallbladder itself isn't very happy these days. The GI doc gives me the card of the Surgeon who will perform the laproscopic surgery once the endoscopy confirms that nothing else is amiss. Oh boy...

Just to be safe, though, the GI doc orders an endoscopy because he doesn't want the surgeon to operate if I have ulcers as well. What?! I have enough digestive issues to warrant a closer look at the stomach, and esophagus. I also know he's trying to talk me into having another colonoscopy. I had one when I turned 50 and everything was fine. He thinks every 5 years is better than every 10 years. I disagree. Let's just fix this one thing first.

I did a "make up" workout because Monday's was abbreviated. Damn, seeing all these docs and taking all these tests take a big chunk time. Cardio felt pretty good although I know I'm tired because I only "saved" enough energy to power the machine for 22 minutes. Oh well. I'm still doing 6+ miles so I'm happy with that. I don't want to spend a lot of time doing push ups or planks so I only do one "full set" of each. I do a mere 3 sets of RG BB Rows and move onto to Seated Cable Rows, the One-Arm Seated Rows. I'm moving quickly, because, like Monday, I have a doc appt later in the day and I have things to do in the interim.
Today at the gym

I knock out just 3 supersets of DB Lateral Raises and Reverse Flyes. I know I used to do more reps, more weight, more sets when I only hit each body part once a week. I might go back to that eventually as it seems to have given me a fairly good strength base. I go for 30 more minutes of cardio because I plan to whack the machine on Friday. Tomorrow I'll be working in the candy kitchen, until it's time to pick my son up from school.

I don't feel at all bad when I attempt to do a few pull ups. But by rep 3, I know I can't do a full set. It's like I've been gutted with a fishing knife. Now even crunches are hard to do although I manage to concentrate on abs. I don't do a full stretch either. I'm just too tired. And sore. Tomorrow is the last day I'm taking the omeprazole, and I can't say that it's actually helped.

Monday will be interesting. I can't drink or eat anything at all after 10 am because the stomach must be totally empty for the procedure at 1:30. I plan to go to the gym, but usually I'm drinking water the entire time. I might just do some cardio earlier and then go home. They use a mild sedative so I'll need someone to drive me there and back. My main concern is getting home to meet my son at the school bus stop. If there's no parent there, the bus takes the child back to school and someone has to retrieve him. I'm hoping to be recovered enough to take him to his kung fu class later. I guess I'll find out when it happens...

The gym is ridiculously crowded today. I wish the Mayor would just shut up already. Doing Seated Cable Rows and creepy Mr PJ Pants sits down at the lat pull down station directly across from me. Ugh. I'm glad I've got my tunes, but they need updating. I have yet to purchase the new songs by Elle King and X Ambassadors. Not really sure I can work out to the Renegade song... but definitely Exes and Ohs. 

Meanwhile, while I was shopping for Halloween snacks (for my son's class party), I came across some Epic® gourmet jerky. My husband makes beef jerky at home. I'm partial to the fruity ones (beef flavored with dried cranberries and oj). I buy the Beef and the Bison just for us to sample later on, and we'll see if we agree with the reviewers at GearJunkie.com.

Wednesday Workout
(6.7 miles total cardio)


Steady State
Calorie :   138 CAL
Distance: 3.94 mile
Speed :    7.87 mph
Duration : 00:30:05
Left : 50 Lap/Rep
Right : 50 Lap/Rep
N/A
Straight : 00:00:30
Elbow : 00:00:30
Straight : 00:00:30
Elbow: 00:00:30
208.33
Set 1 : 55x25
Set 2 : 105x20
Set 3 : 125x20
147
Set 1 : 45x25
Set 2 : 75x15
Set 3 : 105x12 Dam heavy!
63
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 45x12
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12 SuperSet with
30
Set 1 : 20x15
Set 2 : 20x15
Set 3 : 20x15
Intervals
Calorie :   318 CAL
Distance: 2.76 mile
Duration : 00:30:02

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
136.8
Set 1 : 108x8 Owie!
Crunches : 25 Lap/Rep
Bicycle : 50 Lap/Rep
Crunches : 25 Lap/Rep

2 comments:

  1. Things I remember from my post-gallbladder surgery...
    1. A folded bath towel braced across the abdomen when at home, helps a lot with when you have to cough.
    2. It takes a while for your liver to adapt to eating a high fat meal. Some folks never really adapt though.
    3.Initially, stay on top of your pain curve. They give you meds for a good reason, don't try to tough it out.
    4. You'll probably hate the post-op workout restrictions, but do your best to follow them. You do not want to damage the incision sites...
    5. Welcome to the club. I wasn't kidding when I said every day without your gallbladder is a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the advice! I'm thinking sneezing is really going to hurt. :-(
      I haven't scheduled the surgery yet. Right now I'm still trying to work around the endoscopy restrictions ;-/

      Delete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...