Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Modifying Isn't Quitting

When I walk into the gym this morning, I see a short middle-age woman wailing on the Nexersys. She has full size boxing gloves on and is either doing the Advance or Intermediate Follow Me program because she knees the center pad several times. I guess she could also be Sparring. It makes me smile to myself because I see so few people using those machines, especially women. The right Cross pad is still floppy but it doesn't stop her. I'll be whacking that thing on Friday.

Today is Cardio and Core and hopefully Full Body. My favorite cross-trainer is free so I'm pretty happy. Shaggy is at the adjacent machine. He's so creepy, but in a sad, pathetic way. I have my hood up and I'm focused on making sure I switch between handles every five minutes. Only 5 minutes left to go and my right foot is numb from the toes to the arch. Well, at least it's just a temporary thing. When I'm done, I do a quick stretch at the Cage and then brace myself for hammer grip pull ups. Except they're much worse today. The pull ups themselves aren't hard, but the searing pain from under my rib cage up the right side of my chest is excruciating. I hang at rep 10 for a moment before muscling through the next 5 reps. It's debilitating, but it doesn't bring me to tears, thankgoodness. No more pull ups until this heals up, whatever it is. I can't imagine that THIS is from an inflamed GI tract. This feels much more surface of the rib cage. It lingers through push ups and planks, unlike the last substernal chest pain. I'm bummed. But at least I know I did sets of pull ups for reps for weeks when I was 55 years old.

Having a small square of dark chocolate didn't sit well with me last night. I've been pretty good about everything else though. And because I can't seem to function without that one cup of instant espresso in the morning, I take my apple cider vinegar, wait a few and then sip my coffee with a cup of that Cabot Greek style yogurt. With maple syrup or molasses. So far so good. I do miss my oatmeal, but it's hard to beat 22 gms of protein for breakfast. I see a lady I chat with occasionally, so I stop to greet her. She and I are trying to encourage a piano exchange between mutual friends. Shaggy keeps wandering by, as if I'll suddenly notice him. And then what? I ignore him. Eventually he goes away.

The first set of regular push ups is hard: I'm still smarting from the rib pain. But eventually it fades and I'm able to increase my diamond push ups, and one-leg-raised push ups. My goal is to get 50 reps for each type. Except for those first regular push ups, because I've gotten 100 a few times, but today I'm good with 80. Do I miss benching? Actually I don't. I don't miss wondering if it's going to kill my right shoulder, or screw up my elbows. I do miss doing delts though. DB lateral raises and reverse flyes. But only because I'm a badass. Kidding. I don't miss CGBP either because it's more satisfying doing diamond push ups. I did like Rip Skulls though. I might go back for those.

My rib and abs hurt enough to make planks challenging at only 2 minutes, and that's only 30 seconds per side per position. That means 30 seconds elbows, then 30 seconds straight arm, then elbows, then straight arms. Bird dog is absolutely hilarious with a straight back leg, as my supporting arm shakes and quivers while I try not to fall over. I'm doing better with side planks, both elbow and straight arm. I haven't tried the top leg elevated in a while. That's next, and good for the giggles.

I eye the stretch Cage longingly but skip it and use the Cybex Torso Twist machine instead. I'm up the 3 steps to the cardio platform when I glance over at the free weight area and realize that it's completely deserted. So I back up and head over to the Max Rack for a few RG BB Rows. I haven't done these since mid-August, and I don't have my VGs with me. Okay, I figure I'll knock out a few light sets just for reps. But what does that mean? The bar is about 55 lbs so I do 25 reps. I could do that all day. I feel my lats and middle back, but only because they're still sore from last week's pull ups. Maybe I should up the weight just a tad. I add 10 lb plates to either side. Then 5 lb plates. Then screw it, I take the 5s off and replace them with 10s. That's 95 lbs. For 20 rep sets.

I see myself in the mirrored wall and am a bit surprised that I look so little. Everyone else thinks I'm bigger as well. Larger than life! And apparently in my own head as well. Because the image in the mirror is not how I think of myself. I'm tempted to do some Drag Curls or Seated Rows, but I don't have my "bag of tricks" that contain my grip pads, Versa Gripps or collars. Next time. Okay, now I can do some cardio.

Up to the Precor elliptical for 30 minutes of Intervals, my favorite. Kidding. It's hard, but I like the way I feel when I'm done. I stretch again, and do most of the Mat Stretch, minus Pistol Squats. I'll do those on Friday, after I whack the machine again. That poor machine!

Wednesday Workout
(6.96 miles total cardio)

Warm Up
Calorie :   143 CAL
Distance: 4.24 mile
Speed :    8.46 mph
Duration : 00:30:03
Too painfu!
Set 1 : 110x15
80
Set 1 : 80 Lap/Rep
Elbow/Straight
Set 1 : 00:02:01
35
Set 1 : 35 Lap/Rep
Bird Dog
Set 1 : 00:02:00
40
Set 1 : 40 Lap/Rep
Side
Set 1 : 00:02:00
36
Right Up : 35 Lap/Rep
Left Up : 36 Lap/Rep

91.67
Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
158.33
Set 1 : 55x25
Set 2 : 75x20
Set 3 : 85x20
Set 4 : 95x20
Set 5 : 95x20
Set 6 : 95x20
Intervals
Calorie :   314 CAL
Distance: 2.72 mile
Duration : 00:30:02

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...