Friday, October 2, 2015

The Hair Thing...

Body Weight Workout Good!
You know you're a short-hair kind of gal when people repeatedly say to you "You look great! Got a new haircut?" when all you've done is tie your hair back and cut your bangs because they were in your eyes. I'm having a love-hate relationship with my hair these days. It's mostly hate. I find it everywhere, long strands in my purse, on the floor, curled up with dust bunnies. It's the type of hair that comes between you and your stud earrings in a painful manner. Loose strands settle on your clothes and skin, making you jump to imaginary spiders on your arm. Ponytails pull on my scalp too much and I worry about losing my hair from the tension it creates. Now I mostly braid my hair, which is messy. There's always stray hair floating about my face, which I use barrettes to clip back, but baby-fine, straight hair never stays clipped for long. I'm not a "product" person so you won't catch me using gel, mousse or hairspray. I do love the fact that my hair is only ever so slowly starting to grey. But I'm seriously considering cutting it all off. Except that it's getting cold now.

I take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before eating a cup of plain Greek yogurt and maple syrup. So far so good. I get my son on the bus. Yesterday was horrible without any caffeine, so I decide to have one cup of instant espresso. I can't drink coffee black because that bothers my stomach. There's always at least two teaspoons of sugar and a good amount of half and half to make it palatable. My husband has forsworn all additives to his coffee because he doesn't want the calories. Black coffee doesn't bother his stomach. There's less caffeine in instant than fresh brewed, but it's more than a can cola will provide. Yes, I know, caffeine is a GI tract irritant, but it's not worth feeling as if you're going to pass out behind the wheel while driving home because your eyes feel like boulders about to roll out of their sockets. At least I'm not going through alcohol withdrawal!

The coffee stays put, and I don't have heartburn. Yaaaay! The gym is a tad busier than usual for a Friday, maybe because it's cold and rainy outside. The LifeFitness cross-trainer that I favor has been repaired so I do my 10 minute warm-up there and I'm happy. The cross-trainer registers more mileage than the elliptical does in the same amount of time. I'm not sure why.

Round 1 Adv
Round 2 Adv
I'm very careful to wrap my hands because the right is still a bit sore from Tuesday. I pull my punches a little so as not to re-injure myself. I'm very happy with my current routine of 3 rounds Beginner, 8 rounds Intermediate and 3 rounds Advance. At some point I'll drop some Intermediate rounds and add them to the Advance. The machine seems to favor 5-round sessions. I do hit hard enough to stop and blank the screen twice during the Intermediate session. The non-stop action has me panting at the end, but it feels surprisingly good. Endorphins kicking in! There are combinations I've never seen before in the Advanced session so I pull my power in order to increase my Accuracy and land better strikes. There are some combinations that I'm not sure how to score better. I'm moving as fast as I can, the machine registers the blows, but I'm getting zilch for the score. Oh well...

Round 3 Adv
Because the Advance Level requires such a rapid succession of blows, I'm forced to move from one stance to the next without re-setting. It requires more flexibility and balance because you might be moving from a Power Sweep immediately into a Power Kick. You don't have time to step back and reset for the Power Kick. You just pivot from the Sweep to the Kick. I'm a bit frustrated with one combination in particular, again, because it's asking for Jab / Cross / Lead Kick / Lead Kick, and my brain-body interprets the directive as Jab / Cross / Power Kick / Power Kick. At some point I'll get my brain and body to coordinate properly. Just takes practice. A whole lot of practice!

Round 3 Prep Screen
I'm aware of people passing directly around me to get to the mountain bike simulators, or the CF equipment. The Mayor and another fellow in a red tee wander past to use the cable machine. Scruffy sees all the stations are busy and returns later. Tattoo Tank is just leaving. A lot of middle-aged men and women think they'll be able to do pull ups if they use the Assisted Pull Up machine enough. Never gonna happen. My lats are sore. They're never sore when I do weights, but doing weights is probably what made me strong enough to do pull ups. I think they might actually be growing as well. I'd like to see if my back looks any different, but who has time to set up a tripod to take back selfies? It's a whole production to get that picture.

After whacking the Nexersys machine, I climb the Step Mill for 15 minutes while singing to myself. Then a quick lower back stretch on the Mat with Camels and Cats, Bridges and Knee-Ins. Done! The scale reads 109.4 lbs. I guess cutting out all that hard cider is like going on a diet. Oh well. It's not like it's going to go bad any time soon.

Friday Workout

Steady State
Calorie :   47 CAL
Distance: 1.29 mile
Speed :    7.67 mph
Duration : 00:10:08

Follow Me
3 r Bgnr
8 r Intmd
3 r Adv
Lap/Rep :  14 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:56:00
Calorie :   111 CAL
Lap/Rep :  46 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:15:00

Photos posted for actual stats:



3 rounds Beginner



8 rounds Intermediate


3 rounds Advanced

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...