Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Magical Gallstones

I spoke to my doc this afternoon and it seems that the ultrasound reveals... nothing abnormal. No stones, no inflammation. The stones that were recorded back in 2012 have disappeared, and might've passed on their own. Preliminary lab results show a slightly elevated liver enzyme, SGPT (37 instead of 32) that might indicated a liver or gallbladder problem. I have an appointment to see the doc's husband, the GI doc whose office is literally across the street from the hospital where her office is located. I suspect I'll have to endure an endoscopy just to find out what's going on inside. Bleah. With my husband working out of town during the week, and a school-age child, it's going to be damn near impossible for me to schedule this, if it comes to that.

I have my usual yogurt with maple syrup, and cup of instant espresso for breakfast. I've got two more days before finishing the omeprazole. Can't really say it's doing anything great for me. I'm tired from being rudely awoken by massive heartburn at 4 am. At first I try sleeping upright but the pain doesn't dissipate. It's very insistent, radiating out through my diaphragm into my back, chest and abdomen. Ugh. I know what I have to do, so I wrap myself in additional fleece jacket, hat and socks and plod off to the kitchen to fill a tumbler with water. It takes two to empty my stomach. I try to figure out what the offending food item is but it's hard to say whether it's blackened kale or the chocolate coating to the Almond Joy bar I had for dessert. I'm relieved that at least it doesn't hurt to expel, unlike last time. I'm so cold I feel like a homeless person burrowing under three blankets, fully clothed in fleece, including my hat. I know I fall asleep because the alarm wakes me up at 7:15.

At the gym, all the cardio machines that I favor are already in use so I choose a LifeFitness cross-trainer because it's not near the door. Those machines are constantly subject to the chill of people entering and exiting. I briefly consider doing 5 rounds for each level, but fall back into my routine of 3 rounds Beginner, 6 rounds Intermediate and 5 rounds Advance. I think I'm actually improving, although it's hard to tell sometimes, based on numbers alone. I get a good burn to my lungs for some of the Intermediate and Advance rounds, and I'm drenched when I'm done. Shazam gets on the mountain bike (simulator) on the far side of the kickboxing machines. I like it better when there's no one around me to worry about accidentally knocking into, but I'm just happy to have a machine to whack the living daylights out of.

Since I'm only working one day this week, I'll be back at the gym tomorrow. I do have an appt at 2 pm but I should be able to get a full workout done, and still have time to run errands. Like pick up the police report for the accident, and drop off the dog licensing fee at the Town Clerk. And maybe even check out some last minute Halloween specials?

I see a few regulars. I can hear the Mayor though. I honestly don't know why he feels compelled to talk so loud as I don't think he's deaf like LoudMouth. Actually, LoudMouth has gotten a lot quieter. Maybe he got the batteries replaced in his hearing aids. Maybe he actually got hearing aids. I see R hovering protectively over his wife as they walk through the gym. She likes to exercise in the empty classroom. Soccer Boy is stretching on the Mat. There are a lot of fat middle age men here today. The women are in somewhat better shape. I see Towel Guy actually attempting real pull ups on the pull-up assist machine, and I think it's because he's seen me doing real ones on the Stretch Cage. Nothing puts a middle-age man to shame more than having some woman do something he can't. He looks like a cross between Hugh Hefner (in his better days) and Efrem Zimbalist Jr (from that old TV show The FBI), except he's always got a towel around his shoulders. Always.

My son tells me tonight that everyone has to bring nut-free snacks for a Halloween party on Friday. Well, I'm glad he left me time to go shopping!

Tuesday Workout

Steady State
Calorie :   42 CAL
Distance: 1.13 mile
Speed :    6.69 mph
Duration : 00:10:11

3 r Bgnr
6 r Intmd
5 r Adv
Lap/Rep :  14 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:56:00
Calorie :   114 CAL
Lap/Rep :  48 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:15:01
Photos posted for actual stats:

3 rounds Beginner


6 rounds Intermediate


5 rounds Advance
power and accuracy improving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...