Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Blue Pill Makes You Taller, The Red Pill...

I bought the proton-pump inhibitor meds. They're sitting on my kitchen table, but I can't make myself take them. There's something nonsensical about having heartburn and taking an acid-blocker for it since that's only treating the symptom and not the cause. Most likely the cause is inadequate acid production. I've been told that before, by a really good sports chiropractor who diagnosed my inability to digest sunflower seeds. He wanted me to take little pills containing hydrochloric acid which kind of scared me. But the stomach needs strong acids to break down food properly and heartburn, it is suggested, is merely the stomach churning extra hard to make up for acid deficiencies. I get heartburn that feels like the muscles in my back and diaphragm are on fire. It's excruciating. And it only happens when I've eaten something I can't. Like tomato skin. Or a sprig of watercress.

Last night I cut up a small lime (they were on sale at the grocer) and put it in a tumbler of water with some honey. I didn't have any problems with dinner. I cut out my morning routine instant espresso because it hasn't been sitting too well. No caffeine and no alcohol until the GI tract heals up. This morning I swallowed a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and chased it with a cup of water. Next time I'll do this before I brush my teeth with mint toothpaste! I'm suppose to do this again before bedtime. Shouldn't be a problem.

The cup of plain Greek yogurt drizzled with a teaspoon of maple syrup sat fine this morning. I wasn't hungry at the gym, and I didn't have heartburn either. And not a peep from under my sternum! The doc had palpated the abdominal area and said the gallbladder and liver seemed fine. Whew! Because I'm taking marsh mallow to heal the gastric lining, I figure I can skip the milk thistle. I'm already taking enough pills between fish oil and the calcium citrate with vitamin D3.

I feel sluggish at the cross-trainer. On peppier days I can make 4 miles. Today I'm lucky to make 3. At least I'm warm. I'm thinking about all the things I need to put away before Hurricane Joaquin shows up, having been upgraded suddenly to Category 4. I should probably dig out all those winter clothes stashed away in tote bin storage. The all-black woolly bear caterpillar didn't lie: winter's going to be a bitch.

I do a quick hamstring stretch at the Cage and then my first set of hammer grip pull ups in about a week. Nothing hurts. Yaaaay! I do feel/hear a peculiar clicking sound as my left shoulder blade rubs against what? Why is it making that sound? I try not to lose count doing Regular push ups. These are harder than last I remember, and I have to pause at rep 80, then rep 85, rep 90, then every two reps until it's done. One hundred. Yaaaay! I limit the planks to just 2 minutes and nothing fancy today, allotting 30 seconds per pose per side. Diamond push ups still make my left elbow creak. I only do 30, but when I get to the Dand (Hindu) push ups, I realize that I can probably do more than 30. I just don't know how much more. That number is 10. Cool!

Back to the Cage for another go at pull ups. I keep my body still and as straight as possible, but my feet occasionally tap the step-up platform. If I keep my knees tucked to my chest I won't have this problem, but let's see how today goes first. The gym is relatively empty. I do see regulars like PonyTail, Soccer Boy and The Mayor. Luckily I'm out of earshot. More cardio! 30 minutes on the elliptical leaves me sweaty and limber. I've done the Mat stretch after the Step Mill and it's just not as good. A brisk turn on the elliptical gets my muscles warm and malleable.

Back to the Cage for another set of pull ups, and more Cage Stretch. Then to the Mat for a few Pistol Squats and a Mat Stretch. This feels much better. Finally, a last set of pull ups. Yaaaay! I see R and a few other regulars in the far corner of the free weight area. The locker room is deserted. I'm not really even hungry although I suspect fatigue will catch up with me. I'm very surprised when the gym scale reads 109.4 lbs. Then again, I've only drunk half my water anyway.

My right hand is a little bruised. I'd like to go box the machine again tomorrow, but maybe I'll resist the urge to whack it so hard. Then when I get home, I've got to shovel all the debris off the storm drain by my hedges. Fun fun fun! Need to be prepared just in case Joaquin makes landfall in the Hudson Valley. Hubs should be flying back from Canada tomorrow as well.

Thursday Full Body Workout
(6.0 miles cardio total; and I guessed my weight at 112)

Steady State
Calorie :   128 CAL
Distance: 3.44 mile
Speed :    6.84 mph
Duration : 00:30:10

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
168
Set 1 : 112x15
100
Set 1 : 100 Lap/Rep
elbow / full
Set 1 : 00:02:01
30
Set 1 : 30 Lap/Rep
Bird Dog
Set 1 : 00:02:01
40
Set 1 : 40 Lap/Rep
N/A
Set 1 : 00:02:01
50
Set 1 : 25 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 25 Lap/Rep
168
Set 1 : 112x15
Perf Prg #1
Calorie :   290 CAL
Distance: 2.56 mile
Duration : 00:30:05
168
Set 1 : 112x15
141.87
Set 1 : 112x8
168
Set 1 : 112x15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...