Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Little Details

I decided to cut my cardio today and concentrate on whacking the kickboxing machine. But even though I had strips of moleskin and white tape wrapped over my knuckles, I was feeling a raw stinging on my left hand. The tape was rolling up under the RevGear gloves, exposing my knuckles to the underside of the boxing mit. I tried to pause the machine in order to adjust the tape but after a minute, the machine resets itself and all the data is lost. Luckily I'd only gotten two rounds into it. I pulled off my glove and rewrapped the tape more securely and then logged back into the Follow Me program.

Even though I'd spent 15 minutes on the LifeFitness cross-trainer warming up, I didn't actually feel warmed up until halfway through 5 rounds of the Beginner Program. And I'd only blanked the machine once, although I'd gotten the frustrating "Hitting Too Hard" warning dozens of times. I did manage to make up the "missed" blows by whacking the machine as soon as I hit the reset button, but every now and then even those blows would be "too hard", causing further delays. Whacking the machine is definitely less fun when you have to stop every third blow to hit the reset button. There's nothing more joyous than knocking out power combinations with lightning speed.

The machine is definitely battered. The Intermediate Follow Me program is fun, but every now and then, the machine glitches and runs through combinations without highlighting the appropriate calls. My accuracy rating plummets and I do miss several blows. But I'm having a good time and it's a damn good workout. While I'm whacking the machine, people pass by behind me to get to the stretch Cage or the other Cable system. I see Venus. She's wearing a black tank top and purple leggings and she's doing cable lateral raises for her arms. She's got nice arms. Not as muscular as mine, but definitely nicer than most of the women here.

After I'm done, I peel off the tape and moleskin, revealing sorely pink knuckles underneath. The Precor ellipticals are available so I hop on one for 30 minutes of the Performance #2 program. Venus comes back to the central cable stations for more delt work. Now she's on the Step Mill two machines over, chatting with Island Jerk. He's been much quieter lately. I don't miss him at all. I toss my hoodie back on and do a quick Mat Stretch, but without push ups or pistols or planks. Just stretching. Venus comes into the locker room just as I'm putting my engagement ring on. I don't work out with it on and usually keep it in my purse until after my workout. She pulls on a jacket and shades and heads out without changing or showering. I know that we are both aware of each other. And I'm content to leave it at that.

Wednesday Workout
(4.8 miles total cardio; 12 rounds Nexersys -- 2 rounds not recorded)

Calorie :   71 CAL
Distance: 1.94 mile
Speed :    7.65 mph
Duration : 00:15:15

Lap/Rep :  12 Lap/Rep
5 rounds Beginner Follow Me
5 rounds Intermediate Follow Me
Duration : 00:48:00
Calorie :   253 CAL
Distance: 2.86 mile
Duration : 00:30:10

photos for actual stats:
Beginner


Intermediate

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...