Friday, March 20, 2015

Happy Vernal Equinox

I like to plan ahead because I hate being unprepared. So I must've been a Boy Scout in a former life! After I put my son on the school bus, knowing from 3 different phone calls and text messages that today the schools will dismiss early, I head over to the gym. Actually, I head over to the supermarket and grab the three items I'd like to have over the weekend: navel oranges, B-vitamin complex and kefir. I know that if I wait until after the gym, there will be mass panic and confusion due to the impending snow and I risk being caught in checkout pandemonium. Luckily it's cold enough where I don't have to worry about produce and dairy sitting in my car for an hour or two.

Today is Leg Day and I'm perfectly fine with just doing cardio. I try to get some Smith Squats in, but the Smith is always occupied. 30 minutes on the Cross-trainer and 30 on the elliptical, doing the Intervals program leaves me feeling pretty good. I do some GHRs at the Lat Pull Down machine before a quick stretch and off to shower. My GHRs are a lot like bizarre push ups and feel much more isometric than an actual GHR where you push yourself up to perpendicular to the floor. I've tried that, but I always feel it more in my lower back than my glutes or hamstrings. I feel I get more out of it if I do a slow controlled motion with my hammies under constant tension. Of course, it's not the textbook way to do this exercise, but it's the way I'm doing it.

I have shorts on today so my sweaty knees slide on the vinyl seat. Good thing I always have a small hand towel with me. I see a few regulars today, like B and Flirty Girl. Flirty Girl seems to be training a girlfriend on the intricacies of the abductor machine. She's definitely got nicer arms than most of the ladies here. Summer is coming and everyone is trimming down. Big Glasses Dude and Soul Patch, Tall Pace and Short Pace, Tattoo Tank, and Stick-Arm Barbie. No Venus though.

When I get my son off the bus, I can tell from the way he's walking that he's not feeling well. "My throat hurts," he complains. I call his pediatrician for an appointment and then offer to make him some chicken soup for lunch. He falls asleep waiting for the soup heat up. That's not like him at all. Two hours later I take him to the doc who diagnoses strep throat through the Rapid Strep Test. He's also got what the doc calls a "strawberry tongue". It's not as appealing as it sounds.

From the doctor's office we go directly to the CVS to get a prescription for augmentin (aka clavamox for all you pet owners) because it's snowing and I'm not going out again after we get home. The CVS doesn't have the prescription. Yet. Fifteen minutes later, as my son is curled up on a seat near the cashier, I call the doctor and asked where it is. She tells me I have to be patient because it was faxed. What?! Ten minutes later I get a call from her telling me they had problems with their computer system and she's just called the script in. My son tells me he's going to die at the CVS. I tell him no one dies at a CVS and find him a plush Easter lamb for him to hug.

The pharmacist has the prescription now but the health insurance isn't going through properly, claiming that my son's birthday is invalid. What?! Meanwhile, a pushy Irish woman (we seem to have a lot of them in my town) is asking the pharmacist why she can't fill her order sooner. "Because I have to speak to the doctor." "Well, here, I have him on the phone." "No, I can't speak to them on your cell phone. I have to call them myself, or they have to call me officially." "Well I was just trying to help," she puffs self-righteously. "What's your phone number so I can have them call you?" she persists.

The exasperated pharmacist explains that she'd be filling orders if she wasn't having to explain herself. There are four of us waiting in line, staring at Irish. "Why is she so nasty?" she says with a faint brogue, trying to gather some support. I've just about had enough of her. Her haranguing is distracting the pharmacist from actually filling all our orders. "BECAUSE we're ALL waiting," I tell her. "Well, I'm not even picking it up today," she says exiting the store. I want to smack her in the head with a good solid right hook. But I don't. I bet it would've felt really good though.

The pharmacist tells me that my health insurance company has my son listed as a girl and that's causing a problem with them trying to fill the prescription. What?! Just go home and call them to fix it, she tells me. Meanwhile, in order to expedite things, they've clicked on female just to be able to dispense the antibiotics. My son says he's going to die on the way home. When we get back to the car, there's a heavy layer of snow on the windshield. The roads are still good though not for long. My son has managed to curl up in the back seat, with his seat belt on. When we get home, he tosses off his coat and flies back onto the sofa like iron filings to a magnet. I give him his first dose of antibiotics and then some children's ibuprofen. Thirty minutes later he wants to know if he can have chicken soup. I'm not sure we'll be making it to Chinese school tomorrow. Of course, now I'm worried that my hubs and I will be coming down with strep too. Jeeze, Happy Vernal Equinox.

Friday Super-Abbreviated Workout
(total mileage = 6.79)

Calorie :   149 CAL
Distance: 4.01 mile
Speed :    7.99 mph
Duration : 00:30:08
IntervalProgram
Calorie :   321 CAL
Distance: 2.78 mile
Duration : 00:30:10

12
Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 12 Lap/Rep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...