Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Can I Get Sunburned Through My Windshield?

LifeFitness Cross-Trainer
I decided to do an abbreviated workout today because I needed to drop bags of old clothes to Goodwill and a few pieces of tiny tot furniture to the Once Upon A Child store. It's worth the tax deduction to donate our old clothes, and I can get a few bucks for the furniture which is in really good condition, considering my son used to hang all over the tiny upholstered arm chair and loveseat. When I get to the gym, all the ellipticals are taken but I see B on a LifeFitness "elliptical". There's only two of them and they're not very popular. I just need 10 minutes to warm up so B convinces me to try this new machine. I don't like it very much. It has moving handles but they're just slightly too far for me to hold comfortably. Yeah, I got short arms and reaching for the handles makes my lower back ache a tad. The pedaling motion isn't as smooth as the Precor, but it's definitely different from the LifeFitness Cross-Trainers, which seems to move in a different arc.
LF "other machine"

I'm not really warm after 10 minutes, but I'm on a schedule. I put a long strip of moleskin over the knuckle ridge of each hand, secured it with white tape, and then put on the kid's RevGear kickboxing gloves. The right-side machine is still overly sensitive to my Cross and Power Dig. But I have to use a lot of core strength to get the Jab and Body blows to register decently. I do 5 rounds Beginner just to see how it feels. My left knuckles are chafing a little but I'm okay with it. So I punch in another 6 rounds Beginner. Maybe next week I'll split up the rounds between Beginner and Intermediate level.

I unwrap my hands and don my hoodie for a quick lower back stretch, and then a few shoulder rotations. Whacking the Nexersys, although great fun, seems to generate a lot of knots under my shoulder blades. My cheap Kmart foam roller is probably too big for me, but I still use it while laying on a yoga mat at home. It's just nubby enough to hit all the sore spots. Tomorrow will be cardio and arm day. Friday is definitely Leg Day. Today temps reach 52°F and I feel a bit of sunburn through my windshield as I'm stuck in traffic. The town is wisely taking this unseasonable weather to patch massive potholes, and there is nothing to do but sit and wait. Next week's forecast for snow and winter weather in the 30s. Maybe it won't happen.

Wednesday Kickboxing the Nexersys
(each round is 3 minutes followed by 1 minute rest)

5 rounds Beginner Follow Me
 Accuracy 93%  Strikes 98%  Average Power 132%

6 rounds Beginner Follow Me
 Accuracy 92%  Strikes 98%  Average Power 133%

photos for actual stats
(missed strikes only mean the machine discounted it because I was hitting too hard!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...