Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day Two and the Heat's Kicking My Butt

Hill 6 program on Precor 3
I have fans set up strategically throughout my house to encourage what little cross-breeze exist. Although I slept last night and felt only vaguely sore this morning, I had trouble getting up to speed on the elliptical again. Today's cardio session was worse instead of better. Bummer. Even though Precor #3 glides smoothly, there is a bit of resistance at the bottom of the movement that tugs at my ankles ever so slightly.

I had trouble keeping my pace between 185 and 195 when I'm normally zooming along at 200. I managed to kiss 210 for a few milliseconds here and there, but not consistently. After 35 minutes, I was panting and sweaty, but nowhere near 4 miles. Tomorrow's not Leg Day but I plan to do a double cardio session anyway. I'll have my son in the Child Care room so I'll want to do an extremely abbreviated workout. Maybe just cardio and stretching?

Today is Back Day. I'm saving biceps for tomorrow when I plan to just do 70 min of cardio and arms. Just arms. Just triceps and biceps. How long could that possibly take? I only have three basic back exercises today but it takes me at least an hour because I intersperse abs and stretching. Seated Cable Rows, Bent Over BarBell Rows and Pendlay Rows all go smoothly. I see R doing Concentration Curls for his biceps and guilt tickles me because normally I do biceps after back. I've never seen him do bicep curls before and I'm actually surprised to see him here at all. No Mayor, no Nixon, no Hoodie Tattoo. I see ZZ nearby, and the Latin Guy hovering. I may have snarled at Latin Guy once when he wandered into my space to do bicep curls. He had an entire section of mirrored space and he plops himself down right in front of my barbell. It wasn't as if we were sharing equipment! He hasn't intruded since, but he does hover. People who hover are regarded as pests best ignored.

The Pendlay BB Rows still kick my butt. I've read suggestions to do 5 sets of 5 reps at a heavier weight, but as I've said before, I'm too short to lift the next heaviest barbell off the rack and I'm not sure I can handle 80 lbs.

Day Two: Back 
35 min cardio hill # 6 = 3.85 miles Wow, I really suck today!
Seated Cable Rows: 15 @ 60 lbs / 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 / 8 @ 120 / 3 x 6 @ 127.5 lbs / 12 @ 112.5 lbs / 15 @ 97.5 lbs The last set feels pretty good although a bit intense. I want to work my way up to 25 reps as a finishing set. The only thing that bothers me is my left elbow, but eventually it eases as it warms up.
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Bent Over BB Rows: 6 x 12 @ 105 lbs
My hands feel pretty good today!
Pendlay BB Rows: 6 x 12 @ 65 lbs
Wow, these still take my breath away. When I get the 60 lb barbell I find a 40 lb BB on the ground where some noodle-armed girl couldn't put it back on the rack. Good grief. I'm like that with the 70 lb BB. Can get it off (maybe) but can't put it back. 
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Mat Stretch: splits are much better today although I'm a bit disconcerted by one of the personal trainer and the pair of HS girls in tiny little shorts trying to do abs with a small medicine ball. They can't seem to choose which mat they want to sprawl all over, but they don't have any stamina either and they aren't on the mats for very long.

EMS clearance special
I'm not completely paying attention when I step on the gym scale so I don't know if it read 109.2 or 109.6 lbs. That's when I need to have my cell with me to snap a quick photo!

When I'm nearly done, a bevy of long-limbed HS girls show up in tiny day-glow shorts and long sun-bleached hair. They look like track team stars and they're big enough to move a bit of weight on some of the Cybex machines, although their barbell and dumbbell exercises need a lot of work.

It's 94°F when I get to my car. I've had to bring my cooler bag into the locker room with me just to keep it cool. Yesterday, baking inside my car, the Ensure was little better than room temperature. Today, I lug it to the gym and back to the car just to drink it because I'm not comfortable eating or drinking inside the locker room. It's hot enough to wear my EMS sundress which I like for its light, non-clingy fabric and the strappy self-bra top. While I like my new bras, once you sweat in them, they require rinsing and it takes days for them to dry out because of the padding. Such a hassle! This dress pattern provides enough camouflage to prevent any "headlamp"issues. I see more and more athletic bras being sold with padding as well to prevent that unfortunate "headlamp" effect. Tomorrow promises to be another blistering day. Maybe I should just wear my sports bras under my street clothes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...