Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Love-Hate Leg Day

I don't think too hard about Leg Day because thinking too hard is usually bad for resolutions. It's better to just Do It and not think too much, although I had plenty of time because I got stuck behind the Recycling Truck where two poor guys have to empty oversized bins into the back of a garbage truck as it creeps down the road. It's a job. And I'm glad it's not me doing that.

Photos keep me honest!
Cardio went pretty well considering I was worried whether the past few days were going to catch up with me and make Leg Day suck. My butt and leg biceps were definitely stiff today and I attribute that to the Bent Over Barbell Rows and Pendlay Rows I did yesterday. They're pretty damn close to dead lifts. I hate doing dead lifts, but it's suppose to be good for you, like spinach and cod liver oil. The gym was fairly quiet this morning with some sporadic regulars like Nixon and Ranger Rick. I catch a glimpse of V lazily peddling on the reclined bike before what I assume will be yoga class. Then he wanders over to the lat pull down station. I'm busy at the Squat Rack, praying that he doesn't meander back to me. So many of my interactions with him have been so unpleasant that I won't even give him the chance to speak to me at the gym.

Too dayglo for the camera!
R arrives just as I'm leaving, but I'm too busy letting Mo listen to Jerry C's electric guitar version of Pachelbel's Canon on my iPod. Sometimes it's just better to feign ignorance, or in this case, blindness. My magenta UnderArmour shorts look almost moldy today so I threw them back into the wash. It's probably because I line dry them and sometimes the lint from other clothes leaves a fuzzy haze on everything. My spare UnderArmour shorts are just like the magenta ones, except they're dayglo safety melon colored. I almost never wear them. They make my socks look absolutely dull! If I was braver, I'd put on my dayglo pink and green nylon socks I got over 30 years ago from a Brit-import store in New Haven. They're still pretty dazzling! Maybe I'll wear them next week...

Today's Leg Day Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 4.08 miles + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.25 miles  Grand Total = 8.33 miles Wahoo!
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar (butt to heels) / 12 @ 95 lbs thighs to just parallel / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 3 x 12 @ 155
Smith SLDL (I still hate them):
12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 lbs / 6 x 12 @ 115 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Pistol Squats (alternating legs in succession): 14
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 12 @ 75 lbs
Seated Leg Curls: 4 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch (still working on that elusive horizontal stretch but the verticals were good today.)

The scale reads 108.8 lbs, probably because I'm so drenched with sweat that I smell brine as I shower. Well, smelling like the beach is a lot better than a lot of things I can think of. I know I'm going to be stiff and sore tomorrow but not painfully so. I think of this chronic mild soreness as a reminder that I'm still an active person. Yeah, I hate doing cardio, except how it makes me feel during and after. It's the before that I hate, and that's all in my mind, not my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...