Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day Four is Leg Day! Hurray!

Nearly 6 miles! Yay!
I was so disappointed in my mileage yesterday (totaling 8.10)  that I was seriously considering repeating my double cardio session today. Worried that it would just reinforce a sense of failure (and no one needs that!), I compromised with a 45 min session of intervals instead, reasoning that I used to be able to get 5 miles in that amount of time on hills #5 and #6. My thighs didn't even start to burn (slightly) until minute 27 but the feeling passed fairly quickly. I haven't done 45 minute sessions since early spring 2012 and couldn't remember how many "steps" I needed to make 5 miles. I figured hitting anything over 7700 would be good so I was really happy when the mileage came up over five and half. Damn, that's the best I've ever done in a single session! I feel redeemed.

Day Four is Leg Day
45 min cardio interval #7 = 5.88 miles Wahoo! 
It takes me half the session to figure out that each interval now lasts 2 minutes and 20 seconds instead of 2 minutes so I'm always unprepared when the peddles adjust up or down. It's probably better that way though.
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 3 x 12 @ 155
The weight area is relatively empty and I'm happy to have the Smith to myself. I'm less happy about the creepy fat guy with coke bottle glasses who's doing shrugs in the machine directly behind me. But as long as he keeps to himself I figure he's fairly harmless.
Smith SLDL: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 lbs / 5 x 12 @ 115 lbs
These SLDL are still kicking my butt, but it's not nearly as dramatic (I don't actually feel like wretching) so I must be getting stronger!
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Pistol Squats: 15 each leg, alternating without resting
I'm concentrating so hard on not falling over and doing the movement in as few moves as possible, that by the time I'm done, sweat is running off my nose even thought the A/C is on full blast.
Seated Leg Curl: 12 @ 90 lbs / 6 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Seated Leg Extension: 6 x 12 @ 75
These are my weakest exercise because I have such crappy knees, but they work and they're mine.
Mat Stretch: unexpectedly, my splits are good today! I'm really happy!

B chats with me in the locker room this morning and wants to know what's up. What's up? Nothing really. She tells me that I look like I got skinnier, which pleases me but I don't let on. "Are you kidding?" I tell her, "I put on weight." "Must be muscle," she mutters. But it's true, I do weigh more. I just don't know exactly where it is.

The gym scale tells me 109.6 lbs after I suck down the last of my 1.5 liters of water. I'm so hungry by the time I shower that I feel vaguely ill. At least the Ensure has remained fairly cool in the car. When I get home, I make myself a cup of cold instant coffee because I know I'm going to need the caffeine kick.

My husband wants to go to kickboxing tonight because he hasn't had an opportunity to exercise since last week. The summer schedule is inconvenient, but we might make it yet. I realize that I don't really have to give it 110% when I go although it's in my nature to do so. I'm so excited about my improved mileage that I'm considering whether I should do a double session or just another 45 minute one. It'll have to be another abbreviated workout so I'm actually considering boxing the Nexersys machine after cardio. Just for fun. But I'll have to tape my hands because my knuckles are sliding inside those silly pink Everlast gloves. I still have a scab on my knuckle from the last kickboxing class. Gosh, I'm such a delicate flower. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...