Friday, June 7, 2013

It's Raining and I'm a Wreck

I don't usually fret about the weather unless there's ice on the road, and this being June, well, it's a temperate 64°F today. Perhaps it's because I kept waking up last night, listening to torrents of rain falling through the trees, off the roof and thankfully, into the drainage pipes that lead to the lake. The only pleasantry was the intermittent pale green flashes of light on the bedroom window. Lightning bugs had alighted on the slightly ajar window and were signalling each other. The screen kept them outside, and the white curtains made the glowing spots soft and eery. No, I don't usually fret about the weather except that today my son is off on a school trip to the Norwalk Maritime Aquarium and it's the first field trip he's ever gone on without me. I had the option of driving down solo to meet the school kids there, but distance driving is not my forté. I know some of the chaperoning parents and they have my cell number, but still. It's hard to let go sometimes.

Perhaps the week is catching up with me, or my workouts, but today I felt positively drained by the time I got on the Precor. Mechanically I set the elliptical for Interval program #8, the one I like least. It was a struggle to keep moving. Halfway through the session I could feel a slight burn in my quads and my leg biceps were slow to warm up. But I'm stubborn. I don't give up. I just keep pushing. By the last 5 minutes, my body had eased into a pace relaxed enough (195 Strides Per Minute) to gather my second wind and finish strong at 240 SPM. It felt good to be done, and I spent a few moments catching my breath and gulping water.

Seated Cable Rows are always fun and I do my new routine which includes a slightly lower weight, and two drop sets. The Reverse Grip BB Rows aren't as much fun, especially when my pinky goes numb during the last reps of each set. Someone is using the 50 lb barbell to curl so I'm resigned to upping my weight before I think I'm ready. Instead, I find that the 60 lb BB feels fine. I hate doing Pendlay Rows, especially since each set requires the barbell to be placed back on the floor. It's such a relief to stand up straight after each set! Pride makes me grab the 50 lb BB to do Bicep Curls, and it doesn't hurt my elbows too much, although I make time after each set to stretch both forearms against a post. It seems to help.

I don't see a lot of regulars but I'm not looking too hard. The Mayor and Nixon, Fish Guy and his latest girlfriend, Ranger Rick looking forlorn because the tall, skinny blonde woman isn't here today, a few new faces, a few really old and haggard faces. ZZ shows up later. The Mayor's gone but Nixon seems to be doing a whole body day, shoulder presses, dead lifts, squats. I can never figure out anyone's routine, not that I'm really trying. Then I see Nixon doing Face Pulls. Looks like it's a fad that's caught on with everyone!

Mo shows up late too. As does R. I chat briefly with Mo about how hard it is to let go when your kid is an only child. Her son, also an only child, is an adult now with kids of his own. I wave at Fish Guy and he's happy. I'd noticed his girl staring at me when I was doing BB rows. I wave Hi and Bye at R too but he's in the middle of press downs so I don't really expect him to respond. At the edge of my vision I note V peddling on the reclining bike but I don't acknowledge him. He's been so unpleasant to deal with that I just don't want to encourage any interaction while I'm at the gym.

The scale reads 109.0 lbs and I'm good with that. Other than the slight bags under my eyes, I don't look too puffy even though I'm starving and still a wreck. But I'm a much calmer wreck now.

Today's 2nd Pull Day Workout (Back and Biceps)
35 min intervals #8 = 4.57 miles Yippeee!
Arnold doing Pendlay BB Rows
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 45 lbs / 12 @ 90 / 10 @ 105 / 8 @ 120 / 3 x 6 @ 127.5 lbs / 12 @ 112.5 / 12 @ 97.5 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 15 @ 100 lbs / 6 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Pendlay BB Rows: 3 x 12 @ 60 lbs (+10 from last time) 
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 100
BB Curls: 6 x 12 @ 50 lbs (+5 from last time)
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 4 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Lower Back Extensions (again): 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Mat Stretch: still working on those splits... the last few inches are the hardest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...