Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dissatisfaction

Wednesday has been Leg Day for a good year now or at least since April 2012. It feels odd not doing legs today but my gym sessions tend to run long on those days and I have my son with me. My double session of cardio is disappointing although I do make my quota, but not by much. I'm such a hardass when it comes to my expectations. Cage stretch and kicks feel stiff even though I'm drenched with sweat, so much so that I uncharacteristically pulled my hood down during my second cardio session, letting sweat fly everywhere but mostly down my face and off my chin and nose.

As sweaty as I am, I still feel the need to warm up my arms so I do three sets of dumbbell tricep extensions, followed by three sets of standing dumbbell bicep curls, twisting my forearms as I raise them up in front of me. My elbows don't mind but my wrists seem tenuous. I don't play well with others so when I find that someone has laid claim to the tricep push down station, I immediately return back to the DB area and do tricep kick backs. They're not as satisfying as Press Downs but easier on my elbows. Barbell bicep curls aren't as gentle even though I'm only using 45 lbs for sets of 20 reps. The Reverse Grip curls at 40 lbs don't hurt too much and I'd do more if I wasn't worried about getting a Mat Stretch in before a shower and change of clothes. I'm waaay too stinky to ever consider not showering before leaving the gym. Years ago, I used to get in quick workouts and not shower but I never discerned the same odors that now emanate from modern synthetic athletic gear.

Day Three Workout: Cardio and Arms
35 min hill #5 = 4.04 miles + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.06 miles (disappointing)
Grand Total = 8.10 miles Yay!
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Tricep DB Extensions: 3 x 15 @ 20 lbs
Alternating DB Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Tricep Kick Backs: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 45 lbs
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Mat Stretch: splits are stiff but serviceable.

There is too much drama in the locker room which it throws me out of kilter and I forget to weight myself on the way to the showers. A small, thin woman whom I've seen watching me work out has inadvertently locked the key to her lock inside her locker. Several attempts with a bolt cutter by various female staff members standing atop the adjacent bench have failed to do anything but put a dent in the metal loop. The lady says to me, "I enjoy watching you work out" and like a moron, I don't say anything because I don't really know what to say. I probably should've said something, like Thanks, but that didn't really seem to make any sense to me. I feel like Temperance Brennan in the TV show Bones, because I'm so socially inept that I'm at a loss for words. I do joke with her about how these new locks are probably bolt cutter proof but I've missed my moment to encourage her to add a weight routine to her exercises. Oh well. Eventually a male staff member comes to the rescue and snips the lock off while I'm in the shower.

I see Mo and bring my son back into the free weight area afterwards. It's a two-fold move. One, my son wanted to see all the equipment and Mo wanted to say Hi to him. She has grandkids his age even though she's a mere 4 years older than me. I'm the proverbial late bloomer. Second, I wanted to reinforce my no-nonsense approach to the rest of the gym which is peopled with HS girls, and men like The Mayor, Ranger Rick, Hoodie Tattoo, Hairy Tattoo, and Nixon. Only Nixon seems particularly appreciative of the situation as my son clings to my arm and hides his face in my shoulder. A cold pack is waiting for us in the car with high protein Ensure for me, and juice boxes for my son. It wasn't the best work out, not horribly satisfying, but it'll do. Tomorrow's Leg Day and I'm curious to see how that'll go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...