Friday, June 8, 2012

Freaking Friday

I admit that I'm a bit compulsive but that doesn't quite explain why I get so frenetic when I think about missing a workout. Monday I'll be one of the chaperones on my son's school trip to the Bronx Zoo. Sounds like fun! And all I can think about is how much I'm going to miss my workout.

Because we went out last night for dinner to our local seafood restaurant, I stuffed myself like a little piggy AND I had a glass of wine, I'm wondering how my workout is going to be today. 30 minutes of cardio gets me warm and sweaty and an acceptable 3.31 miles. Today is a Back day but I'm adding Legs because I can't really do a decent biceps routine. Plus I'm a little worried about the ravenous appetite I had yesterday. Really. After I got home (I'd already sucked down the Ensure in the parking lot) I made myself a protein shake (20 gm whey protein) with a banana and 10 oz of fat free milk. Then I had several slices of  roasted garlic ciabatta bread topped with butter. Then we had sauteed vongoles and fried calamari appetizers, salad (with honey mustard dressing), bread with roasted garlic olive oil, king salmon with white wine and caper reduction, some roasted potatoes and sauteed slivers of red peppers and zucchini, and most of a serving of cheesecake. Plus a glass of cabernet.

This morning I skip the oatmeal and only have coffee. My stomach growls at me when I get on the cardio machine but it soon quiets down. (I won't hear from it again until I get into the shower later.) Rowing feels pretty good with 3 sets of 15 reps at 90 lbs and another 3 sets of 8 reps at 105 lbs.

Pull downs, on the other hand, don't feel so good because they're aggravating my right inside elbow again. I put on the Golfer Elbow brace I bought at CVS and do pull downs anyway. I scope out the assisted pull up machine and determine that the grip is too thick and too wide for me. Damn these tiny hands and fingers. (sigh)

Squats and deadlifts feel pretty good though and I do 5 sets of each with 95 lbs. The brace helps me with the deadlifts because I don't worry so much about my elbow as I straighten up. Bent over reverse grip barbell rows have me feeling a bit tired but I like the way I can feel my lats when I do them. And I admit to a thrill seeing biceps flex in the mirror. Mirrors are very helpful to ensure that you're doing your forms correctly (otherwise you can really hurt yourself). 3 sets of alternating 20 lb bicep curls finishes the workout.

I drink the last of my 1.5 liters and wonder whether I should actually purchase another bottle of water from the desk. The gym is warm but not unpleasant. It's the high school boys draped over the benches, spending more time chatting than pumping iron that's annoying. No wonder they look like 98 lb desk jockeys. I stretch and I'm done. Surprisingly the scale reads 106.2 lbs. It's a freaky Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Combo Day

The dogs were still at the boarding kennel with baths and nail trimming scheduled so I didn't need to get up too early today. In fact, I...