Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Backs and Fronts

Today I did something out of the norm: I ate before I went to the gym! About 2 hrs before my workout, I scooped up a cup of steel cut oatmeal that'd been in the rice cooker overnight and ate it with a spoonful of White Oak Apiary local honey. I've got to adjust the water to oat ratio better as this was a 4:1 as per stove top cooking directions, and the results were a tad gummy but otherwise palatable. I had my instant Starbucks coffee at 7:30 with a spoon of raw sugar and some "fat-free" half 'n half. Then off to the races...
delts look good, back needs work
At least the delts look good.
Well, I was definitely slower today on the cardio: 45 min got me as far as 4.89 miles which is below what'd I'd been doing all winter. I didn't feel slower, I just was slower. But I worked up a good sweat and my elbow didn't bother me too much so I got through rows, pull downs, reverse grip barbell rows and a cursory 3 sets of dumbbell curls. I figure if I do 3 sets of rows for 15 reps at 90 lbs and then another 3 sets for only 6-8 reps at 105 lbs, maybe my back will respond with a little size. But at least I'll get stronger!

My abs were definitely uncomfortable laying in bed this morning, so I took that as a sign to continue doing those inclined sit ups: 4 sets of 25 reps with a 10 lb plate held to my chest. I still did a set of twisting situps (about 125 reps) and lower ab kickouts (again, about 125 reps) and a set on the torso twist. I can do 25 reps on each side at 50 lbs so I'm tempted to up the weight, but I don't really want big beefy external obliques. I think they're big enough. It's the center (rectus abdominus) that need help, hence the addition of weighted situps. 

Hey the diagram shows a navel! Cool!
I'm not tired as I head to the showers. I've just run out of things to do here. Again. Normally I'd do at least another two exercises for biceps (21s and either concentration curls or seated incline dumbbell), but now I've got the name of a sports doc (chiropractor) in my town who everyone at the gym swears by, so I'll have to check him out and see if he can't help fix my elbow. The scale reads 106.8 then bounces to 107, then back to 106.8. Two out of three takes it so it's 106.8.Whatever. It's just a number I'm writing on my calendar when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Combo Day

The dogs were still at the boarding kennel with baths and nail trimming scheduled so I didn't need to get up too early today. In fact, I...