Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Pushing vs Pulling

the funniest thing I've seen lately

Before I got a chance to finish feeding my dogs this morning, a burly deliver driver sauntered up the driveway with a long heavy box (81" x 16" x 5") on his shoulder. I signed for it and he left the package perched against the 5 steps leading to the front door while the dogs were barking furiously from the living room window. I had to put my shoes on and grab a pair of gloves before I realized just how unwieldy this parcel was. At roughly 100 lbs, I couldn't actually pick it up. I could pick up one end and push it though. It is much easier to push heavy objects than it is to pull them. There's no handles anywhere on the box. 

Thank goodness I have several mats outside the front door and I could use them to ease the friction of a cardboard box grinding against perpendicular step edges. Good practice for when I have to drag the mattress off the bed frame and hopefully land it in the hallway with box springs to follow. Once I dissemble the old bed frame, I'll unpack the new one and (fingers crossed) assemble it properly, just in time for the new mattress. Hopefully. I still have to make repairs to the parquet wood tile flooring that has buckled in spots due to the humidity of living on wetlands. I've got several cases of extra tiles in the garage and yesterday I bought a couple of tubes of the necessary adhesive. It looks suspiciously like Elmer's, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately, it's never as simple as it first appears. Apparently the fellow who installed this flooring over 30 years ago, cut down some of the tiles to make them fit. I'm not sure why exactly but now I'm going to have to either glue down older segments or actually cut apart newer tiles. Ugh.

 

I still planned to hit the gym since I didn't go yesterday. Plus, I'm worried that dancing with the bed frame packaging has done a number on my back. My necks and upper back feel very tense, like cords are a skosh too tight. I decide to address any future inflammation with a preemptive dose of ibuprofen before I get in the car. Normally, I just have coffee but today my stomach's a bit upset with coffee and NSAIDs. It's a valid approach when dealing with potential injury. I've already got something wonky happening as per the sciatic nerve and I don't want to make that worse. But I need to do what needs doing, so...

I don't know if it was the impromptu workout this morning or the ibuprofen, but my cardio routine felt okay. While the elliptical did drag a bit, I managed to improve slightly on pull-ups, steps, and the cross-trainer. I'll take it. I might go to the gym tomorrow and Thursday since the mattress is scheduled for Friday afternoon. Or maybe I skip tomorrow and get as much as possible done. Once I dissemble the bed though, I'm not sure where I'm going to sleep since the sofa isn't actually the most comfortable, especially when sharing it with a 64 lb dog who goes sleep-running... I am looking forward though to finally sleeping on a new mattress. It's been more than 30 years!


24 Sept 11:44-1:50
Tuesday— All Cardio
Cloudy Day — Timolol / sciatica
Pushing a bed frame into the house first / preemptive ibuprofen

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 + 5 (5476)
Distance: 2.80
Cal: 309
Avg Hr: 142, 195-85
New FB: 51-134

HGPU 14.5

Matrix StairMaster (R) 12:31
Manual timer 8+2 cool down
Speed 5 (45-50) / 29-38 (2-1)
Steps 454
Floors 28
Cal 68
Hr 123

HGPU 14

Life Fitness X-Trainer #5 (12:53)
Program Manual L1
Time: 12 (+3min cool down) =15
Distance: 1.36
Cal: 114
Avg Hr: 129 (1:09)

HGPU 13

20 Hip Bridges pain right leg
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
Piriformis stretches
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25 (creeping tingle)
Arm rotations 20
Air Squats 25
Neck stretch / Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

Temps Dropped and I Got Hives

I've been waking to temps below 40F lately and my body has reacted. It's somewhat subtle and only I notice it, but I've develope...