Friday, September 13, 2024

Friday and the 13th

It's well known that wearables like the FitBit are notoriously bad sleep trackers. I didn't have proof until today though. I forgot to set my alarm and woke up when the sun hit me in the face, which was 15 minutes later than I'd like. I still had time to apply 2 out of 3 eye drops, dress, and get the pups to the park. Coffee, lately, waits until I get back if I want to enjoy those fancy cups of cappuccino. There's no one at the park, except for folks playing pickle ball in the tennis courts. No one in the dog park except us.

The FB shows me when it thinks I'm in deep sleep, light sleep, awake, and REM sleep, which says dreaming to me. Except I was trying to figure something out in my dream when I woke up. And the FB doesn't recognize any dream time early in the morning. I remember the black & white dog with floppy ears like a cocker spaniel, and in my dream I had questions about the identity of a person with that dog. It would seem to me a dream that ended abruptly when I woke up, but that's not what the FB recorded. Do you dream during Deep Sleep -- that's what the device recorded.

I go to the gym and the parking lot is promisingly empty considering that it's Friday. I avoid Mondays because that's when people show up out of guilt from overindulgent weekends. I'm surprised that Wind Breaker is already on elliptical #1. That's not his usual machine; perhaps someone else has come and gone on machine #2. I like machine #2 better except for the first quarter of the program when there's a tiny clunk as I pedal forward. Wind Breaker also seems to have thinned his locks which are now a brilliant auburn color. He does hours on the elliptical and nothing else, but everyone has their own agenda. 

Today is a cardio day with pull-ups in between, a routine I'm getting used to. It gives me a chance to explore the software a bit better as well. While there's no surprises with the Precor elliptical, I learn that there is a minimum time to use the Matrix step machine timer and that would be 5 minutes. I set it for 8, knowing that the machine will automatically give me a 2-minute cool down. Pull-ups are decent today, although I do miss being able to do more. It wasn't that long ago that I could get 18 or 20 reps! When I get to the cross-trainer, I set the program for 12 minutes to account for an additional 3-minute cool down. That totals 15 minutes. Another round of pull-ups and then I'm off to the Aerobics Room.

The Aerobics Room is warm and humid, even with ceiling fans whirring. Eventually I stop sweating and the room feels cooler. There's no one else in it although there are other members doing cardio and in the free weight area. HS kids are starting to trickle in. I skip Bird Dogs, Cobra Pose and One-leg Hip Bridges because of how much pain these movements cause. I skip Wall Sits because I did them yesterday... Back on Tuesday, just because Monday is usually a zoo... but it is Pumpkin Spice season. I saw a wall of PS flavored products at the grocery today, and now I'm wondering about PS popcorn and pudding. Well, at least regular cardio (endurance) exercise appears to make your body fat healthier. Yeah, seems contradictory, but click here to read the article.
 

Friday the 13th — All Cardio

Beautiful Day — Timolol / sciatica
(right hip-foot numb tingly)

Precor elliptical #2
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5546)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 314
Avg Hr: 157, 192-110?
New FB: 51-124 (?)

HGPU 15

Matrix StairMaster (R) 12:31
Manual timer 8+2 cool down
Minimum 5 minutes
Speed 5 (45-50) / 29-38 (2)
Steps 434
Floors 27
Cal 65
Hr 119

HGPU 13

Life Fitness X-Trainer #5
Program Manual L1
Time: 12 (+3min cool down) = 15
Distance: 1.35
Cal: 114
Avg Hr: 118-123

HGPU 12

20 Hip Bridges pain right leg
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
Piriformis stretches
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Skip Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Arm rotations 20
Push-Ups 25 (creeping tingle)
Air Squats 25
Neck stretch / Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...