Friday, September 6, 2024

A Bit Sensational


It makes for a headline that's hard to miss: read about it yesterday and suddenly today, I can't help but trip over the damn "syndrome" on various health news outlets. What is it? Called Dead Butt or Gluteal Amnesia, I have to admit that I've never ever heard of this. And after reading about it, I'm not entirely convinced of the population affected, because it doesn't say in the article. (I've put a link to the NYT article here. Gifted so it's gratis to read.) I do note that I currently do a few of the exercises mentioned, but sciatica makes the glute bridges, especially the one-legged version, extremely painful. 

Before sciatica, the glute bridges were a pleasant way to stretch the hips and glutes. Now, it's a matter of how much buzzing, tingling pain I can put up with... Once I change positions or stand up, then the pain dissipates. I'm happy that all this has been intermittent. I hope this eventually heals into dormancy. That'd be nice!

I'm curious to see how I fare today since it'll be just about all cardio, with breaks for pull-ups. I did manage to finally get past 2.8 on the elliptical. Yaaay! And I got my pull-ups done. I figure getting roughly a dozen reps a few times should count for something. Trudged on the step machine... loving the timer aspect because it's one less thing I have to pay attention to! I try a different cross-trainer and skip the cool down, just because. By this time, I'm drenched and tired and feeling a tad gross. 

There was a Senior class earlier, but the a/c isn't on when I get to the Aerobics Room. I flip one of the box fans on and the room feels cooler immediately. I make a choice to skip all the movements that aggravate my sciatica. It's not doing me any good to do exercises that cause me so much pain. Besides, I suffered through those yesterday so it's not like I'm completely skipping out...

6 Sept 11:52-1:46
Friday— All Cardio
3rd Day! Dead Glutes?!
Timolol / sciatica

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5566)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 314
Avg Hr: 151, 190-78
New FB: 52-134

HGPU 15 (4 kipping)

Matrix StairMaster (L) 12:41
Manual timer 8+2 cool down
Speed 5 (45-50) / 36-38 (2)
Steps 434
Floors 27
Cal 65
Hr 106

HGPU 13

Life Fitness X-Trainer #5
Program Manual L1
Time: 15 (ditch 3min cool down)
Distance: 1.22
Cal: 111
Avg Hr: 120-124

HGPU 12

20 Hip Bridges -- buzzing numbness starts at hip, skips thigh, clenches calf and foot/toes
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
Piriformis stretches
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Arm rotations 20
Air Squats 25
Neck stretch / Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...