Monday, September 30, 2024

Less Busy Than Expected

Pupper with friends
Since the new mattress is scheduled to arrive tomorrow afternoon, I went to the gym today. But I got there late so I had to make some adjustments: I cut out the last set of pull-ups and the last round of cardio. I was surprised that the gym seemed fairly empty. Many regulars were MIA; maybe they also assumed that Mondays would be full of people making up for indulgent weekends? 

I walked a lot this past Saturday as my husband and I went to the annual Hudson Valley Garlic Festival. The iPhone Health (8,239) app and the FitBit (8,229) app disagree on exactly how many steps but log remarkably close enough. That's reassuring.

We taste-tested some interesting garlic concoctions, like garlic fudge. And bought cheese redolent with sweet and savory black garlic. There was a lot more black garlic available but of course, since I discovered I could buy a decent bag of it from H-Mart for $11, those paltry containers of black garlic for $7 were too pricey. We also enjoyed a wonderful garlic chowder that had 4 different garlic ingredients (fresh, powdered, oil, dried) as well as potatoes, corn, onions, celery, broth, flour, and a touch of cream. We ate it while sitting inside a lecture tent where someone was giving advice about growing and mulching garlic.

This morning, the dogs were happy to have friends at the park so I stayed later than usual. (The arch enemy dogs apparently come even later now.) I'm not quite sure where all the time goes though, since it was well past noon by the time I got to the gym. Wind Breaker wasn't on the elliptical. Actually, no one was on any of them, except for me. I knock out two sets of pull-ups between the elliptical and the step machine. The pull-ups feel okay so I'm encouraged that maybe I'm regaining reps, although in a painfully slow manner.

The Senior class ended and there was no one in the Aerobics Room. I skipped the movements that aggravate my sciatica. It's much less problematic lately, but still more annoying than last year: stinging numbness in the foot, toes, calf, hip when I transition from sitting to standing/walking. Eventually I can shake it off. Laying in bed is still unpleasant unless I'm on my side, but that's bad for glaucoma. The new mattress should be delivered tomorrow so I'll finally discover if a better sleeping surface helps. I certainly hope so!

30 Sept 12:18-1:48
Monday — All Cardio
Brilliant Day — Timolol / sciatica
Delivery tomorrow

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5560)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 314
Avg Hr: 161, 194 maximum
New FB: 51-136

HGPU 14.5

Matrix StairMaster (L) 1:06
Manual timer 8+2 cool down
Speed 5 (45-50) / 29-36 (2-1)
Steps 440
Floors 27
Cal 66
Hr 131

HGPU 14.5 

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
Piriformis stretches
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Push-Ups 25
Arm rotations 20
Air Squats 25
Neck stretch / Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

Temps Dropped and I Got Hives

I've been waking to temps below 40F lately and my body has reacted. It's somewhat subtle and only I notice it, but I've develope...