Friday, August 11, 2023

In Spite of Myself

I couldn't get my wired earbuds to pair with my iPod today. Most likely it's that they need to be charged, so I dig out the backup pair of AirPods and those connect instantly. Unfortunately, as I've mentioned several times before, there's no way to increase the volume beyond what the iPod is set at. And it's no match for the pounding, caterwauling "ambient" music pulsing through the gym. I'm able to pedal the elliptical, but I'm also distracted by the footage of the west Maui inferno on the TV. 

We've been to Hawaii several times, with Maui being our favorite island. We went there on our honeymoon and stayed at the Royal Lahaina, ate at Mama's Fish House, took a tour bus trip Road to Hana, visited the rain forest and waterfall nestled deep in East Maui, saw a misty sunrise atop Haleakala, fell in love with the Maui Ocean Center in Kihei. Back then, in October of 2001, just a month after the tragedy of 9/11, our only real worry had been contracting dengue fever from the voracious mosquitoes. (Recent posts confirm that the Royal Lahaina has not been affected by the fire because they're actually in Kaanapali a few miles north. However, they have no power and communication is only by satellite phone. Mama's Fish House also confirms that they are okay.)

I normally do better than 2.8 on Program 3 but I'm tired and it's taking a lot of concentration to focus on my workout in spite of the fact that there aren't many people at the gym today. I do better with Elbow Planks (90 seconds), skip Crunches, but add the Wall Squats back for 90 seconds that start off ho-hum and end with my quads squealing a bit. The sciatica is gone, or perhaps I'm just more distracted by the discomfort in my mouth.

A grip that never releases
While I'm taking my antibiotics every 8 hours, sometimes I skip the ibuprofen or just take one tablet (200 mg) which ultimately leads to a lot of pain around my upper molars. It's gotten to the point where I'm wondering if I haven't developed an oral viral infection (I seem to be prone to the ones that children get) that makes the gums around my teeth sore and tender. So, if I'm going to take anti-inflammatories, it's got to be 2 or more tabs (400 mg plus) otherwise I'm wasting my time.

The favorite clip (left) vs standard (right)

My hair clip is also annoying and distracting. While it works well to hold baby fine hair, it's working a bit too well in that when I go to remove it to lay down on the mat or on an inclined bench, it gets caught in my hair and takes an extra minute or two to untangle. Ugh. I prefer the low profile small clip that I only have one of and can't find any more. Instead, every clip on the market now has a godawful huge butterfly expanse on the backside that takes up so much room it pushes your head forward when you're driving. No one needs that huge handle on the back of the skull! 

There are two young men in the DB area, both on benches, both staring intently on their phones. Neither is actually pushing any weights. I'll be happy when these kids go back to school. But I'll also be sad, because my own will be at school too and I'm going to miss driving him to the school bus stop and the little chats we have when we walk the dogs at night, or doing other mundane things. 

I decide to do just a few beginner sets of the DB Shoulder Routine. I'm so annoyed with my hair claw that I just leave it clipped to my gear bag and hope my braid doesn't fall into my face. I figure I might be sore tomorrow, but honestly, probably not because the one thing that I don't lose very much of is strength even though it's been several weeks since I last did sets ending in AMRAP (as many reps as possible). And as usual, the hardest set is the first light one, i.e., 10 lbs for reverse inclined DB flys. They burn and make me gasp, but like a good warm up everything is so much better afterward. I probably could've done the full routine today, but I'm all for easing back in, especially since I don't want to jinx myself now that the sciatica has been abated. 

If not a bite, then what is it?

In the locker room, I look down and notice a big red mark on my thigh. It doesn't itch. It's not swollen. So is it a bug bite? It looks like it should be a bug bite, but I have no idea what it is. Bugs bite me through my clothes all the time. Another mystery...

11 Aug 2023 11:02- 12:31
Ornery Earbud Friday (backup AirPods can’t drown out gym noise)

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 + 5 (5472)
Distance: 2.80
Cal: 309
Avg Hr: 129, 188-114

20 Hip Bridges
Skip Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 90s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga
Wall Squats 90s

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...