Thursday, August 10, 2023

Now I Have a Toothache

I had planned to go to the gym on Tuesday but instead managed to get an emergency dental appointment. Actually, the dentist and his office were on vacation for the week and his answering service said they'd call whoever was covering. It turns out to be the dentist himself ("Mr. Rogers") who drove up from his house and met me at noon. Very often I get food stuck painfully between my teeth. Usually persistent flossing solves the issue, but not this time. And the affected tooth (teeth?) are capped, which usually means they're rootless. The dentist said that wasn't always the case. 

With the help of some local anesthesia, he determines that symptoms are indicative of either a gum infection or a damaged (and thus sensitive) root. He cleans the area, doesn't find any errant food and prescribes amoxicillan, a standard antibiotic for oral infections. I'm also taking ibuprofen for the inflammation and pain.

My mouth is better and yet worse on Wednesday (it only hurts when I chew but then it stays painful) when I have a scheduled appointment to take my car to the shop. I passed the NYS Safety Inspection but desperately need rotors, and that roaring jet engine noise is also worrisome. Dogs go to the park and back. Then I make myself comfy at the dealership service center. So, it turns out not to be bearings that need to be replaced, but instead, I have a frozen rear brake caliper and the service people tell me that they don't think the car is safe to drive. They can't even change the rotors without replacing the caliper, and they don't have any in stock. (Remember, my car is a 2010.) They'll get the part in the next day and give me a loaner to go home. I tell them I have dogs but that I also have a dog hammock to keep the dog hair to a minimum. (Usually having dogs in the car is a total deal breaker.) They give me the fob to a 2020 Forester. I hate it.

the 2020 loaner
 

It takes me a really long time to figure out how to adjust the seat properly just so I can reach the pedals and see past the steering wheel but not be so close that my elbows are bent. In order to recline the seat back so I can straighten my arms, I literally have to open the driver side door so I can adjust the levers and knobs. This car feels smaller and more constrictive than my old gas engine 2010 Forester. On the outside, it looks just as big though. 

I finally figure out that I need to push the Start button 3 times to get moving. The first time just starts the radio. The second time and I can actually get the windows to open, and adjust the a/c. The third time I have my foot on the brake and I hear the engine start up. Ugh. Well, at least the radio is digital and actually maintains the station I tune to. I'm also surprised that I have absolutely no issue backing into my driveway although I don't make use of the backup camera, preferring to stick my head out the window.

Today, I take the dogs to the park in the loaner car. Just me getting in the driver side puts dog hair in the car! There's no one else at the park, and for the first time, the dogs actually meet me at the exit gate to go home (instead of me chasing them around trying to convince them that park time is over). I take the loaner to the gym. The parking lot says the gym is empty. It's not really, but the "ambient" music is really really loud. Ugh. I do cardio and manage a dozen pull-ups. My fingers go number. Then I see my phone has a message from the auto shop. My car is ready. But I'm not. My son has an appointment with the orthodontist to get another bag of aligners to take with him when he goes away to school. 

I cut my gym routine short (elbow plank is only 60 seconds and ditch the Wall Squats). But I attempt another set of pull-ups and barely manage those dozen. Tomorrow I might do some basic light DBs for the shoulders. I don't know exactly when, but I got bit either at the gym or on my way to the gym. Right on the chest! I notice it when I go to shower and slather the welt with itch cream. It's summer so I always have itch cream!

Later, I pick up my car and I'm very happy that it no longer makes any weird rattling or jet plane noises. It did cost me a lot of money though, mostly in labor! I think it's up to $255/hr or something like that. I still need to get an oil change, and maybe replace the air filter. It's been a while, and we've had a lot of smokey Canadian days... My son took his first driving lesson yesterday. That also cost me a lot of money. I wasn't there for it so I asked him how it went. He said, "Well, I didn't crash the car." Indeed. It'll be cheaper if he signs up for a driving package at school. I just have to convince him that he can do it...

10 Aug 2023 11:02 - 12:14
Overcast Loaner Car Thursday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5506)
Distance: 2.81
Cal: 311
Avg Hr: 136, 179-120?

HGPU 12 fingers!

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

HGPU 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...